Boogie Woogie

Use this forum to discuss lilies (Lilium species).

Moderator: Chris_W

Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Boogie Woogie

Post by Tigger »

These made a great display this year, because I was diligent in spraying to keep the deer from eating their favorite treat. You can smell them from across the yard, but even up close it's not too much, which I get from standard orientals.

A testament to hardiness of lilies: on another berm across the yard, years ago I planted 'Time Out'. Year after year, the deer got to them, often eating them completely to the ground when they came up. But they kept coming up. This year (again, because of diligent spraying), we actually got blooms. I think I started with 6 bulbs, and this year there were 4 stalks with blooms (only one or two blooms each, but still).
Attachments
lilium Boogie Woogie.jpg
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: Boogie Woogie

Post by kHT »

Very nice, thank you for sharing!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

What a beautiful bunch of lilies!! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Lovely thats it
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
otnorot

Post by otnorot »

So you got ripped off like I did mine are also white and this is what they are supposed to look like.
Bill
Old but still learning
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

Wow, you're right! I was thinking that these were not supposed to be near-white. I planted two varieties side by side, and the others are even whiter (might as well be Casablanca). But since the deer got most/all of the blooms before, I guess I was just happy to get flowers!
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Well, you didn't really get ripped off on the variety - Boogie Woogie really is cream colored, but plant it in deep shade and it can develop a pink edge when the flowers first open. So call it false advertising to be certain. I have some here in my hosta garden, and sure enough, the first day open they had a subtle pink edge that was gone by the next day :roll:
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

Question: would it be a bad idea to transplant these right now? They're 2' tall already, but I don't see buds yet. They're just getting too crowded by the weigela 'Rubidor' behind them.

David
otnorot

Post by otnorot »

David you can transplant now but you will lose this years bloom and you take a chance on breaking the stem and set the bulb back two years.
bill
Old but still learning
Aud
USDA Zone: zone 6

Post by Aud »

Last year I did not have a choice since I moved and was selling my house I needed to get them when I could see them.

I dug so that I got most of the soil and roots and they bloomed that year. I used a little hand shovel because where they come up was not always where the bulb was. It could be inches to the left or right. Scrap that soil off the top until you see the top of the bulb.
New Topic Post Reply