Martagon lillies

Use this forum to discuss lilies (Lilium species).

Moderator: Chris_W

thy
USDA Zone: 7

Martagon lillies

Post by thy »

Went for a lilly speach last evening and as I thought there were bulbs for sale, lots of OT , Asiatic ect. but what I had not expected was a lot of martagon lillies. He said it was ok just to put them in a cool room now and then plant in the spring. When I sugested to pot them up now and keep them cool he said it was even better.

Please, what is correct/ what to do ? . From what I know, they have to be plantet in the autum/ fall.. at least I only see them for sale in October or so...

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Martagon lillies

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Pia,

You can also plant lilies in the spring. The bulbs sold this time of year pre-cooled (they can be stored for a couple years if held at -1/-2c or 29/30f) and are ready to grow right away, so potting them up would be good if you don't have a cold place to store them. Otherwise they will just start to grow on their own anyway. With the Martagon lilies make sure they are not started or grown wet. They need really good drainage and will not tolerate wet conditions as bulbs, just a little moisture to get them started and then don't start to actively water until they've begun to leaf out. In the garden e grow them in sandy shade in a raised bed where the sprinklers never hit them and they do really well. I've rotted them in the moist shade before :(

Hope that helps :)

Chris
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Thanks Chris.

Temps are going up and down like crazy here, so I will pot them up adding a lot of sharp grit to the potting mix and place them in the car port, think it is the most temperature neural place I have and I do not want them to sprout to early.

Then I hope they will like their new home, they are told to be picky.. Either they like it and grow or they never do anything at all
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Sounds good :)
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Post by oldcoot »

OC has never had any luck with Martagons. Have tried several times, but they don't seem to like HOT weather either. I have always had good luck planting Asiatic and other Lilies in the spring though. The ones the kids planted for me last fall here in Union are just now getting ready to bloom. Can't wait. :beer: :beer:
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
New Topic Post Reply