Dicentra spectabilis?

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

Dicentra Spectabilis - Short or Long lived perennial

Short lived
17%
Long lived
83%

Total votes: 12

shadylanejewel
USDA Zone: 8a

Dicentra spectabilis?

Post by shadylanejewel »

Need to know your opinions - then I'll tell you why.
Julie

"To Plant a Seed is a Noble Deed - Propagation is Conservation" Norman C. Deno, Professor Emeritus of Chemistry
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

I don't recall any of mine lasting more than 5-6 years. I always blamed my Silver Maple tree.
Robyn

Post by Robyn »

I love them but they just get too big. I end up moving and dividing every couple years because I can't bear to throw them away. I will have to throw out next year because I don't have anyone else to give them to and I have a ton of seedlings coming up. Maybe I should offer them for postage in the spring. Does anyone know if they ship well.
Robyn - Zone 7b
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

Mine have been long-lived, but I'm thinking that's because I live in the Pacific Northwest. They do seem to love it here.
Blackkat

Post by Blackkat »

Mine is 3 years old and a monster. Do they ever stop growing? Next spring, I'm going to have to divide it.
LadyR

Post by LadyR »

I've have two that I've had for going on 6 or 7 years?...maybe longer. I have no problems. Have had a white one too for several years.

Roberta
Dirtpig120

Post by Dirtpig120 »

Oh man..I've had two for 15 years or so.Now I have them all over,reseeding.LOL
Mine are under maples and doing just fine,bigger then life.
I pull seedling all the time.I wouldn't be with out one or two or three... :lol: :lol: I have pink,white and the gold leaf one(it's gorgeous).
Dirtpig
Life is what happens when your busy making other plans.(J.Lennon)
Dirtpigs Hosta List
Webshot Page
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:( Never had mine reseed. :( Both of mine are just about burnt out for the year now.
shadylanejewel
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by shadylanejewel »

:o I forgot all about my Poll. :oops:

Here is the reason I wanted other opinions.

I gave a garden class earlier this month on shade perennials (mostly hostas as that is how the class was advertised).

When asked about other perennials as companion plants, I said one of my favorites is Dicentra spectabilis (it is the photo on the front of my brochure).

Another nursery member said "Yeah if you're looking for a short lived perennial - D. spectabilis is great". In my experience, I've had my pink ones for over 15 years. The white ones for about 6 years. I also have a pink with green/gold variegated leaves which I've had for at least 10 years. These plants are not seedlings and I've only found a few of those here and there. Definitely not like overly prolific like some hardy geraniums or stachy's. They do tend to go dormant by mid summer without sufficient water.

Might not be an real accurate poll since only 12 voted and there were over 130 views. But still IMO D. spectabilis is a great "Hardy" perennial I wouldn't be without!!!
Julie

"To Plant a Seed is a Noble Deed - Propagation is Conservation" Norman C. Deno, Professor Emeritus of Chemistry
New Topic Post Reply