Question on Ferns

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Question on Ferns

Post by oldcoot »

O.C. made this picture on his deck. We finally got some warm weather and a little rain and O.C. put these out to get a GOOD watering. This is one of four ferns, he was given last fall. The lady across the street had them hanging on her front porch . She like to have left them out there too long before giving them to him as they got hit hard on one side with the cold weather. I have had them in my bath-tub
ever since, which has shutters on the windows over it, and they get good sunlight, and he has tried to keep them wet. The question he asks is this ???

If he can keep them alive two more months, he wants to plant them out in his, shade bed. Does he trim off the dead fronds, trim backthe good leaves a little or just plant then like they are ?? They look like they just might make it.

On days when it is warm enough and he has sun, he is going to keep bringing them out of the house and putting then on his deck for several hors a day....

That Funny and Friendly Old Coot named John saying "Come on Spring"......and KEEP POSTING
Attachments
Deck Fern (2).jpg
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Evening, Coot!!

I sure wish I new something about these, but I never have had them....It looks like the common ones you see in peoples houses, and out in hanging baskets in the summer.....I just never have had one.....

Good Luck!!
oldcoot

I'm sure that what it is

Post by oldcoot »

As itg hung out on her porch all summer. I hope to keep them alive long enough to plant them out side. It warmed up into 50's and is to still bed warm tonight with gentle rain. Thought it might do them good to get out of the bath tub where I am keeping them......

That Funny and Friendly Old Coot named John saying "Come on Spring"......and do KEEP POSTING, and showing us PICTURES
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
impatience

Post by impatience »

I always had a hard time keeping those suckers alive during the winter because they would drop the leaves all over the floor until I opened the door and threw them across the backyard. :eek: I'm thinking I should have kept them in a more humid place :lol:

O.C. congrats on keeping yours alive. I'm thinking that cutting back on the brown fronds and generally shaping it up should get it ready to put on rich green new fronds in say..........38 days? :wink:
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
oldcoot

They are a mess

Post by oldcoot »

Every time I carry them out on the porch, I leave a trail. The rain DID seem to help them. They are a lot greener than Sunday and standing up pretty straight...I'll keep trying and let you know how long they make it....

That Funny and Friendly Old Coot named John saying "Come on Spring"......and do KEEP POSTING, and showing us PICTURES
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

O.C., that looks like the Deer Fern we have in Oregon, it is everywhere. Lew dug up a bunch of them for me when we first moved in they stay green all winter long and in the spring whenthe new fronds begin to show upat the bottom, we cut all the old ones off and then the new stuff comes up great. If I can get a picture, I will show you.
Lovin' the great northwest!
oldcoot

Apparently the rain worked

Post by oldcoot »

Two of the ferns are really looking good. One is hanging on and the fourth one has almost been a lost cause from the beginning. Here is a picture of NEW FOLIAGE coming out of one of them. It has rained a slow gentle rain all day today, and is not suppoed to get lower than 40* tonight, so I'm leaving them out tonight because the rain is supposed to continue tomorrow. HIGH HOPES as ccoming alive..

That Funny and VERY Friendly Old Coot , named John, saying, "SPRING" is coming and in just 27 more days" and counting !!!
Attachments
Fern New Foliage-1.jpg
New Topic Post Reply