Shadylanejewel doing the Happy Trillium Dance

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

shadylanejewel
USDA Zone: 8a

Shadylanejewel doing the Happy Trillium Dance

Post by shadylanejewel »

Both of my Trillium kurabayshi are coming up with two stems each and this one has Two Yes two flower buds!!!

If the deer or rabbits harm one speck of these flowers, :evil: we'll be having stew! I'd better get a cage around them tomorrow.
Attachments
T Kurabayashi 2.jpg
T Kurabayashi.jpg
Last edited by shadylanejewel on Mar 06, 2005 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julie

"To Plant a Seed is a Noble Deed - Propagation is Conservation" Norman C. Deno, Professor Emeritus of Chemistry
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Wow, spring has sprung up north!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Pretty leaves!! :D
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

O.C> never knew

Post by oldcoot »

Until he started taking his flowers seriously, he never knew how far ahead of us you guys are. I envy YOU. Even Seeing some Iris even posted from out there.

Keep us infcormed of your progress.........

That Funny and VERY Friendly Old Coot , named John, saying, "SPRING" is coming and in just 26 more days" and counting !!!
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Julie - this is the one you and I were both drooling over last year... It's my favorite trillium of all!!!

Can I post a picture of it in bloom, just to tide you over a few more days until yours is blooming????

Hee Hee!!!! :lol: :D

Andi
Attachments
Trillium kurabayashi 040604.jpg
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
shadylanejewel

Post by shadylanejewel »

Yep Andi that's the drool plant. Can't wait til my flowers are open. Yours blooms much darker than mine. Here is a pic of last years flower.

There was one at the HPSO Sale last year which was Black Black Black

My other plant is a seedling from the same batch as the black one but they'd had considerable varieation of color.
Attachments
T Kurabayshi 2004 03 09.jpg
Last edited by shadylanejewel on Mar 06, 2005 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julie

"To Plant a Seed is a Noble Deed - Propagation is Conservation" Norman C. Deno, Professor Emeritus of Chemistry
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

That looks somewhat similar to the wild ones I have. Trillium sessil, I think. Is there a major difference? Mine aren't even breaking ground yet. :roll:
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

OED, we have seen some unseasonable high 60 for the past week and all our rain is going to CA so we are about a month ahead here.
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

We are just not getting our rain and Lew has been watering in our trees. I have alot of Hosta points showing up, mostly the "old faithfuls". I love Clematis, so I am starting a bunch of them, there are some really pretty ones. I have been trying to get out side every day, but the body doesn't respond quite as easily as it used to. But I will just perservere!
Lovin' the great northwest!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Andi, those are really neat!

Thanks for showing your pictures!
shadylanejewel

Post by shadylanejewel »

Mine a finally starting to look more like Andi's. The first pic is of the same plant as my photo from last year. This year the burgundy color is much deeper and both stems bloomed. :D

The second photo is of the plant I bought last year which had no blooms. This year it too has two stems and one is blooming but it is only about 5" tall. Also visible in the back of the first photo.

As for OED's ? They are similar to the sessile native to your area but the main difference is the flower petals are 2-4" long x 1-1½”wide on Kurabayashi vs ½-1½” long x ¼ -½” wide on sessile. Both are a sessile type meaning blooming from directly where the leaves join vs pedicellate blooming from a second stem which rises from the leaves.

The leaves are also much larger on Kurabayashi.
Attachments
T. Kurabayashi 2 2005 03 05.jpg
T. Kurabayashi 2005 03 05.jpg
Last edited by shadylanejewel on Mar 06, 2005 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julie

doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Julie - those look great! And you're right, the color on your this year is a much deeper red compared to last year. Mine are up about 2" and haven't opened up their leaves yet. I'm waiting (im)patiently for them and all of my other trilliums. T. rivale is up and about to open its flowers, it's such a cutie too!

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Beautiful! It'll be a while before our (wild) trilliums are peeking out of the ground.

A few years back, I found some of these in a dense part of a river flat.....I'd never seen them before, and was taken by the shorter stature and the deep red blossom. One of my wild flower books called them "Toad Trilliums".

Last year, I took some of my Ad. Ed. students way out back of our Hort. lab to the river. A huge wide path....about 40' wide had been cut for drainage purposes (I guess?? :-? ) from the back drive-around down to the river. Being the edge of the woods is one of my favorite black raspberry pickin' spots, I was aware of MANY neat wild flowers growing there....two trillium varieties...lots of Jack-in-the-Pulpit....etc. I felt so bad for those little fellas that were pushing thru that newly-leveled path!!

We took buckets and carefully dug up those who had been strong enough to survive.....even found a few strange varieties of ferns! I KNOW digging up wild flowers is illegal....but destroying their habitat like that should be too!!.....p :-?
insam

Post by insam »

those are beautiful! as mentioned the petals are longer and more colorful than T. sessile or T. cuneatum or the other similar sessile trilliums.
petalpusher, I don't think anyone would argue against wild plant rescues assuming their survival is in danger. This is certainly more of a concern for T. kuyabayashi than some of the other trilliums. I believe it is fairly rare and limited in its range.
This is why growing the plants is so important. Those growing and propagating such plants in nurseries and/or gardens are doing us all (and the plants) a good service. And I'm sure you believe you made the right choice.
There is one thing I believe for certain: A backhoe, bulldozer, and dump truck can do more damage than the average human. My home of Nashville, TN is growing so rapidly that conservationists (all five of them.. :lol: ) have little chance to keep up.... and I suspect it is happening at suburban spots all across the world.
Organized plant rescues is one way to help, although it may just be a bandaid to a gaping wound.
Keeping updated on development projects helps. For example, locally a few years back a Wal-mart went through some major legal battles before building where there were allegedly native american burials (and of course ironically some of the same people opposed to the development project now shop there!). That was a perfect opportunity for a plant rescue. Other times the development is underway before one realizes it.
New Topic Post Reply