Epimedium youngianum 'Merlin'

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Epimedium youngianum 'Merlin'

Post by doublemom2 »

I'm loving this one!!! I just got it last month and it's already putting on a lot of growth. The flowers have opened up since yesterday.

Hmmmm... I'm thinking maybe we should have an epimedium trade later this year. Anyone game?

Andi
Attachments
Epimedium young Merlin 031105.jpg
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Lovery Andi! I am thinking of adding a bunch of epimedium in between my hostas just to mix it up a bit. When I moved last year I left all of them behind that I had collected. So far I only have put in one here. Post more pics please.
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

These are some Epi pix from previous years... just to whet your appetite LOL!

Andi
Attachments
Epimedium Orange Queen 042003.jpg
Epimedium rubrum Cobblewood form 040604.jpg
Epimedium grandiflorum TamaNoGempei 040404.jpg
Andi
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Hi Andi, that is beautiful! I am new to epis and planted two kinds I got from Hallson's in my shade bed last fall. One was E. grandiflorum "Lilafee" and the other was the E. youngianum "Merlin." I sure hope mine looks as good as yours. :lol: Next on my list is Black Sea, Orange King, E. stellulatum "Wudang Star," E. Lishihchenii. Say do know anything about E. Omeiense "Storm Clouds??"
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Hi Paul - I have plain E. omiense, but not 'Storm Clouds'. I just got Darrell Probst's catalog in the mail a couple of days ago and have been drooloing over the photos. DH tries to confiscate it, but he hasn't managed yet LOL!

You can't go wrong with 'Black Sea', it's amazing year-round for me. Orange Queen is great too, and lishichenii is also nice, but new to me so I haven't seen the blooms yet.

I have pix of most of these on my website if you want to see, click on the WWW Home button below my post.

Andi
Andi
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Man that 3rd & 4th picture are really, really pretty!!

Thanks, Andi!! :D
insam

Post by insam »

you already got the catalog andi?! maybe it takes longer to mail to korea. :cry:

I like them all but mostly go for the grandiflorums as they stand out in the garden more. many of the others are strong growers though and all lovely. can you imagine what is to come in the future in terms of hybrids. epimedium culture is still in the wee stages!
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Yep... Epimediums still have such a long way to go, it's going to be amazing to see what's out there in 10-20 years! Unfortunately, it's getting harder and harder to get plants out of China and the rest of Asia. Actually, it's not so much that as it is getting plant material INTO the U.S. that's the problem. By the time they clear the plants in a package from China, many can be dead already. :(

I collect hostas, but I have to say that I've developed a nice strong addiction for the epis also, much to my husband's dismay LOL! :)

Andi
Andi
insam

Post by insam »

It really is a gamble these days. Some other countries have gotten as strict. Some of it is understandable, but I think carrying the logic on to include small packets of seed is going too far. You know huge commercial shipments in barges, etc.... are not so closely inspected.
It would also be nice if customs workers who deal with plant material were "plant people" and trained for what they should look for and how to handle plants with care. But of course that would be asking a lot. :lol:

Actually, I watched an interesting show last night called "Robert Fortune: The Tea Thief". It correctly portrays him as a botanist engaged in espionage. Anyway, he had worse problems than we do today. He faced penalty of death if he was caught, and many of his shipments completely failed before the Wardian case. Still, international transactions are almost in all cases risky.
New Topic Post Reply