Bleeding hearts question

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

patsue53

Bleeding hearts question

Post by patsue53 »

When I received my Hallson's order from Chris I found 2 (yes 2!) bonus plants included. One of those was a Bleeding Heart Luxurient. I planted it in my Hosta Heaven bed in my ravine, following the instructions carefully. It said to water it in lightly and then allow it to dry out for 2 or 3 days. Well, wouldn't you know we're had some kind of rain almost every day since I planted it. Should I just leave it alone and keep my fingers crossed, or dig it up and let it dry out and try planting it when the weather changes? I really don't want to lose this one.
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Just leave it alone!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

WOW, you will love that thing.....Not sure what I would do, though.....I think like Kellie said......She is good at this stuff....Try not to worry too much!!
Attachments
It has lots more blooms than that now....It bolloms forever it seems....I love it and got me another one last fall...This one I have had a couple years now...Enjoy yours!
It has lots more blooms than that now....It bolloms forever it seems....I love it and got me another one last fall...This one I have had a couple years now...Enjoy yours!
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Just leave it alone!
Okay, I WILL!!! :lol: :lol:

Thanks guys.

LucyG yours is GORGEOUS!
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Yup, just leave it alone. So long as the spot you picked is not solid clay soil and drains out after it rains it should do fine. You just won't need to hand water it, that's for sure ;)
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

I've been weeding in the ravine and found my little Bleeding Heart. It's doing beautifully!! :)

Thanks for telling me to leave it alone. It was obviously the right thing to do. It was dormant when I got it and I was nervous about covering the entire thing but Chris' instructions were right on. It's above ground and looks like a cute little fern now. :)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Pat,

I'm glad to hear that it is doing good. That one can be a little tricky, especially to see such an odd looking dormant crown, so I made sure to include the notes on it.

Hopefully it will bloom great this summer too :)
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Today I went down to the ravine for the first time since I got home from my weekend away. My litle Bleeding Heart is BLOOMING!!! It's so CUTE!!! :D :D Thanks Chris!! :D
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Well now..............don't we get a pic of it? :( I wishicould grow those! Have killed everyone of them! Sad state of affairs .........
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
ladyblue
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by ladyblue »

If everything is good, this will make you lots of babies. They love to multiply!!They don't need great soil!
Bonnie :D
Bluecanoe

Post by Bluecanoe »

I'm so happy it took for you, I've tried a number of the new mini ones, King of Hearts, Luxurient and a few others and not one has survived for me. However I planted two old fashioned big ones and they do fantastic! I don't know why that is..They were mislabled too, they were supposed to be white and they're both pink!
Lynda (The Roving Siamese cat toy)
New Topic Post Reply