Small tree for shade?

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

Frodo the Hobbit

Small tree for shade?

Post by Frodo the Hobbit »

I have a spot in my hostas that is desperate for some height.(Like something 5-10 feet tall) It is almost total shade, and I would love something to add color, maybe blossoms in the spring. I thought of something like a crab apple, but don't want the mess and don't know if it could tolerate the shade.

Any thoughts? I don't mind a bush, as long as it has some height to it, but I'm not looking for something round. Something with red in leaves or blossoms would be great as well.

Thanks for any info!
Frodo

PS I just found this area of Hallsons and love it! I've been looking for more companion plants for the hostas, and have got lots of good ideas here.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

There's a great Redbud tree called 'forest Pansy'. It's new leaves are red/purple, and stay that way for a while. It may not be hardy for your zone though.
DryGulch

small tree for shade... a shrub

Post by DryGulch »

Maybe a Diablo Ninebark (deep burgundy) or Physocarpus Dart'sGold (bright yellow)...I don't know how the colors hold in shade. But they are 6' to 9' tall and about 6' wide.
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

If it is not TOO deep shade, a Japanese Maple would look lovely there ... maybe the common Acer palmatum Atropupureum???? It would depend on your temperatures etc of which I have no inkling
This is one after 10 years with me
Attachments
atropupureum05.JPG
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
Liselotte

Tree

Post by Liselotte »

My favorite small tree is Cornus alternifolia. It is one of few that grow for me in this climate with a short season. The only disadvantage is, that after flowering the white 'stuff' falls on the Hostas and has to be brushed off. But the the pagoda type form ist lovely, the leaf color is chartreuse with red tinges (at least at our altitude). the dark blue berries are treasured by small birds and the fall color is out of this world. After 16 years (one year seedling) it is barely 15 ft tall in full sun. Native in Illinois!
Last edited by Liselotte on Jul 12, 2005 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurt5

Azalea?

Post by Kurt5 »

Azalea 'Mandarin Lights' is one of various "Lights" varieties bred for cold climates. Try a web search to see what other colors are available.
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Good suggestions! I vote for Cercis 'Forest Pansy', but you'd have to check hardiness. Another favorite of mine is Styrax japonica, or Japanese snowbell, it has hundreds of fragrant white bell-shaped flowers that are blooming right now. How about Viburnum 'Pink Dawn', which is good for part shade. Physocarpus 'Diablo' is wonderful, but probably needs a decent amount of sun. Would an elderberry hardy for you? Sambucus 'Black Beauty' is a wonderful shrub too.

Hope this helps out some... :)

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Frodo the Hobbit

Wow! Thanks for all the great suggestions. It will take a while to research many of the suggestions and find one of them locally, but it sure is nice to have some names to start with! I really love that Japanese Maple, my mother-in-law just got one and they do look sharp. Not sure how it would do in the shade though.

I'll let you know what I decide and post pictures.

Frodo
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Andi brought up a good point with the 'Pink Dawn'. There are tons of great viburnums out there, as with the different Elderberry varieties.
Frodo the Hobbit

After some research last night, I went shopping today. I looked for any of the listed items, but had little luck around here. I would probably have to go to the Cities or at least Eau Claire to find a better selection. Since I didn't have time for that, I purchased the only thing on my list that I found, the Azalea 'Mandarin Lights'. Having said all that, I did love the pictures of it I found, and may have chosen it even if all the others had been available. I'm really happy with the size they had, and I'll just prune it to keep a more upright form. (Thanks to Kurt who suggested it!)

What I'm looking for now is a Japanese Maple. After seeing the picture from whis4ey, I'm hooked. I've always wanted one, but I suddenly realized I have the perfect spot in a new bed I just made. It is sheltered spot close to the house in about half direct sun, so hopefully it would make it in our climate in that location.

I do have a larger new bed where I hope to plant some of the other suggestions. It is shade, but much brighter and can have larger trees up to 15 ft or so.

Thanks again, I'll post a pic when I get it planted, but that may be a day or two.

Frodo
janet

Post by janet »

I'll eagerly wait for the results of your search, Frodo! I've never been able to find a Japanese maple that would survive in my zone 4...other than small potted ones that are taken in for the winter. I should have gotten a clue when I realized no one had any in their landscapes... :cry: Good luck to you!
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
wholyhosta

Post by wholyhosta »

Others have taken the words/suggestions out of my mouth.

I have a favorite viburnum-Mohawk-that has a spreading habit, is very open and airy, and has 'popcorn balls' of flowers in the spring before leafing out, that start pink and open to white- they have a heavenly fragrance. Makes a small 10-12' tree bush. Is fragrance important to you?
I have one on either side of my front porch and just planted another near a new hosta bed to provide dappled shade.

Good luck with finding all your choices!

Brenda
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I am bringing this up to the top.....

Now I am thinking on planting a tree or two...

Chris suggested the Honey Locust....

I looked up the Pagoda Dogwood.....Very pretty!

Any more suggestions?

Thanks!!!
hostapair

small tree

Post by hostapair »

We have a Lavendar Twist Redbud (weeping redbud) and a Kousa Dogwood- both reasonably sized, pretty, tolerate partial shade and are hardy in marginal zone 5!
LAB and JRB in Hosta Heaven, western New York
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

The Kousa (Chinese) dogwood is a great one. It blooms about a month or so later than the common dogwood. The native, Gray Dogwood (Cornus racemosa) is another late bloomer with cluster type flowers. It does sucker a bit though. A number of the viburnums can be grown into small trees. Hard to beat the doublefile viburnums. In particular, 'Shasta'.
hostadad

Post by hostadad »

I vote for: Cercis 'Forest Pansy' I saw Andi's and it is absolutely gorgious!
New Topic Post Reply