Shadey Shopping...and question.

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

Bluecanoe

Shadey Shopping...and question.

Post by Bluecanoe »

As I mentioned in another post, we went plant shopping today. It wasn't only shade plants, but I was out of labels and had to get a supply of those, found some really nice copper ones. DH was pricing sod and since this place delivers that was an important task too.

What I came home with was a really nice gallon pot of Athyrium Ghost, we thought it would look really nice in the front garden along with the "Lady In Red" Athyrium, and Japanese painted fern that are already there. I've been wanting Ghost for several years and was happy to see a nice thick pot of it.

However, I spotted a pots of 'Labrador Violets' and couldn't resist picking up a pot of that too. I do grow violets in my yard, mostly in the back garden, (and through the lawn) but all white ones that only bloom in spring. The Labrador ones I haven't seen before, just loved the colour of the foliage and shape of the leaves. I've been reading up on them and see that I have soil and conditions they like, plus areas in the rock garden that need a nice ground cover. I haven't read anywhere that they're intrusive except may to another very short type of ground cover, I plan to grow it with hostas, ferns, sedums and heuchera. If anyone can give me some information that I made a bad choice for that area, please let me know, it's not planted yet!

Thanks
Lynda (The Roving Siamese cat toy)
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

I got viola labradorica a few years ago, and am still trying to get rid of it to this day! Sorry to burst your bubble, maybe it just likes my Pac. Northwest climate too much, but it just goes absolutely crazy here. I have it coming up in potted plants 50 feet away from where it was originally planted. It particularly likes to come up directly in the middle of a nice clump of hostas, and it's a pain to pull out from those tight spots.

I agree with liking the color of the leaves, the purplish tinge is wonderful, but just be careful where you plant it and plan on pulling out hundreds of seedlings if it really takes off.

Just wanted to give you a fair word of warning :)

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Duh! I forgot to mention... you're going to LOVE athyrium 'Ghost'. Mine is in it's third year, and it's not as fast growing as the other painted ferns, but the coloring on Ghost is just wonderful, there's nothing else quite like it in my gardens and it really stands out.

Andi
Attachments
Athyrium Ghost 062305.jpg
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

I agree with Andi about the violets We have been here 30 years, and while they are pretty, I am still trying to get them out of the lawn. They travel on runners and every year I have hit them with weed and feed and every year they come back like unwanted relatives.
Lovin' the great northwest!
Bluecanoe

Post by Bluecanoe »

OOps...planted it last weekend in a spot I had to remove Hosta Chantilly Lace from. Don't know how it would do here, but since it's native to eastern Canada, U.S. and Greenland, I bet it'll love it..ahem...
Lynda (The Roving Siamese cat toy)
New Topic Post Reply