Anybody know?

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

hostadad

Anybody know?

Post by hostadad »

I just got the neatest plant! It is a mottled Chinese Mayapple. Has anyone heard of this variety? Can anyone give me the culture requirements of growing Mayapples. It is my first one.

Thank you,

David.
Attachments
Chinese Mayapple.jpg
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Part shade, constant moisture, well-drained soil.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
hostadad

Post by hostadad »

Thanks Viktoria. Sounds like the same care as many other shade plants. I thought this plant since it's unusual to me, would take special care.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

We have wild mayapples around here that tend to grow in the woods along slopes in dense woods, usually in very well drained situations. These newere ones aren't supposed to be hardy for us, though, here in zone 5, and way to expensive to test them. Maybe I'll just buy one or two, though and try it. Have you tried to overwinter them Viktoria?
Shadyfolks

Podophyllum

Post by Shadyfolks »

Hi Hostadad,
I am new to Hallson Garden forums and have been poking around for a few days checking things out. When I saw your post I just had to jump in.
I purchased this Podophyllum last summer. I live on the east side of Cleveland, OH (Z5b-Z6) We are in the snow belt and get lots of snow in the winter. I planted it in a bed where I could keep an eye on it. After we took down x-mas tree I put pieces of pine over it for extra mulch. It was much earlier to rise than the native Podophyllum that grows on our property. It has done well and even had a red blossom. It has not gone summer dormat. I plan to move it eventually out in the woods.

This spring I purchased Podophyllum 'Spotty Dotty' unfortunately they were small TC plants in large pots. I put them out in the woods and have had a time keeping them watered. I will see how it goes with them this winter. They are supposed to be hardy to Z5. Unfortunately I have noticed that the slugs love the 'spotty dotty'
Attachments
We had 14" of snow the last weekend in April this year.Here is Podophyllum 'Kaleidoscope'
We had 14" of snow the last weekend in April this year.Here is Podophyllum 'Kaleidoscope'
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

They will winter over here, Chris, in zone 4b-5a.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
New Topic Post Reply