Check out this fern!

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Check out this fern!

Post by doublemom2 »

I got this at a nice nursery up in Seattle... It's Dryopteris seiboldii (wood fern), but this was the only one out of all the plants for sale that looks like it has variegated fronds. The rest were all solid green.

It seems like there are two plants in this pot, one solid green and the other has white/silver centers down every frond.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Andi
Attachments
Dryopteris seiboldii 080205.jpg
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Are you sure it is a dryopteris?? The variegated one looks more like pteris to me. What you have is the green fern that a variegated spore decided to colonize. Two ferns in one pot, my dear.
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Aha! That makes sense, I just haven't pulled them out of the pot to see that they're two separate plants. Well, then, I got a 2-for-1 special! I got that in the delivery room about 10 1/2 years ago also. No wonder they call me "Doublemom" :)

Thanks Kellie!

Andi
Andi
Shadyfolks

Post by Shadyfolks »

Hi Doublemom2,
I just love ferns and recently I was visiting a public garden in Columbus, OH called Inniswood. They had recently been given some ferns by the Hardy Fern Foundation to plant in their shade garden and to monitor their hardyness. This garden is in Z5.I saw a fern which looks very similiar to the one you have at this garden. I thought it was soooo striking I had to take a picture to do more research. I also took a picture of the label they still had in the pot with the fern.After doing some research on the interest I do not believe the label was in the right pot. It doesn't add up. I would love to know the name of the fern because I would love to grow one if I could.

I have Dryopteris sieboldii growing for two years now in my garden, we are Z5b! It comes up very late, like the middle of June for me.

Good luck finding out the name of your fern. You were were very lucky to find it.
Shady
Shadyfolks

Post by Shadyfolks »

Oops, I don't know why the photo did not go with the message. Will try again
Shadyfolks

Post by Shadyfolks »

Ok,
I guess I am going to need some help here. I uploaded a photo the other day without any problem, So I don't know what I am doing wrong. Any advise?
Shady
hostadad

Post by hostadad »

Hi shady.

Watch carefully that your picture file is not more than 80 KB. Sometimes I forget, then the Pic will not go through.

David.
Shadyfolks

Post by Shadyfolks »

Hostadad,
Thanks, I will bet that is what the problem is. I will try to resave pic in smaller size and resend. later. S
Anywaty it is the collest fern and I want to know what it is.
Shadyfolks

Post by Shadyfolks »

Attachments
Neat fern.jpg
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Sure looks like mine! Thanks for sharing your picture. I don't think I've ever seen a fern like that before I picked it up at the nursery.

:)

Andi
Andi
New Topic Post Reply