Tricyrtis are finally blooming in Michigan!

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Tricyrtis are finally blooming in Michigan!

Post by Chris_W »

The toad lilies are growing beautifully in their new home now that we've moved! Actually, almost everything is growing better here :)

Tricyrtis 'Tricolor' was always too dry at our old place and usually went drought/heat dormant and did not bloom. Here they are planted right next to the bog, did not go dormant, and have been blooming for a couple months now. They first had blooms at the tips but now they are blooming at the leaf axils too!!!

By the way, this picture is about 20 times life size - so they are the smallest toad lily blooms I've seen. But the foliage is variegated with pink overtones in the spring, so that's how it gets its name. These are the most cold hardy toad lilies we've grown, but also the most demanding for good, moist soil.

This next picture is of Tricyrtis 'Dark Beauty'. Doesn't show the blooms, but they are branching out and growing like small trees - these guys are 4 1/2 feet tall! The blooms are very similar to Empress.

And speaking of Empress, they are blooming beautifully and also have branching flowers at all the leaf axils.

Here are the branching flowers on Empress:

Next is a new one to me called Blue Wonder. It has purple spotting but as the flowers age they take on a blue cast. I wish they were more blue, but they are still pretty and have grown really well.

This is a picture of White Towers. We can never seem to grow enough of this one!

The last one is called Raspberry Mousse. I wasn't able to get a very good picture - the wind kept blowing so it was blurry every time - so I'll try again tomorrow and edit it:

I know Andi seems to love these as much as I do :), but for those of you who haven't tried them in your woodland gardens yet you should consider them. I'll have the order page updated soon: Order Tricyrtis Here
Attachments
tricyrtisraspmouse.jpg
tricyrtisraspmouse.jpg (15.4 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

OMG Chris!! Beautiful shot!!! Mine are doing just great too....I only have 4 different ones.... I did not even know about that White Towers!! I will be looking to order them when you update....I have taken pictures of mine for a couple weeks I think.....they are still going....I just love them, too...Raspberry Mousse is a must have, even looking at it with the blurred picture...I love that Blue Wonder!! Love those shots!I hope you don't mind me showing a couple of the different ones.

Thanks for sharing!!
Attachments
This is that blue'ish flowered one....
This is that blue'ish flowered one....
Varigated one again
Varigated one again
This is the one that has the varigated folage.....can't think of the name..
This is the one that has the varigated folage.....can't think of the name..
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Great pictures LucyGoose. Are yours in quite a bit of sun?

I have two variegated ones, Gilt Edge and Samurai, but both had big losses last winter. However, each colony came back from roots that were really deep in the ground so we didn't actually lose them. Hopefully they will be good to go again next spring.

We have some of the White Towers left if you want one, but not enough to officially list on the order page. Just let me know ;)

Chris
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Thanks Chris!! Yes, I would LOVE one of the WT's! Thank-You! Now that you said the name, it is Guilt Edge....

I have two different ones up front that get sun till something like 1'ish, then the others are in the back and they get quite a bit of sun.....

Thanks again Chris.... :D
Attachments
Here is another.....
Here is another.....
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

I was so excited when I saw mine blooming. I also have Gilt Edge and thought I lost it last winter, but up it came in several small plants this spring. I have one other, but I can't for the life of me remember the name. However, after seeing your plants Chris, I think I need to water mine more and maybe move them where they will get more shade. Would you recommend some winter protection?
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Joanna.....I water mind quite a bit.....Also, they get plenty of sun.....So maybe it just the water thing for yours....

Isn't there somethig you want to ask Chris? :wink:
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Great pics Lucy and Chris! I don't think mine will bloom at all this year. It is the Lightening Strikes one with the vareigated foliage, and the blooms are not that great anyway, still I would like to see them. Maybe next year.
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Yup! A WONDERFUL plant for the fall when other things are starting to go down, these come into full bloom. They are so gorgeous, they almost seem like they shouldn't be hardy. I've always liked them, but have really fallen into lust with them since I've been babysitting Kellie's toadies for the past year.

I have to say.. T. 'Dark Beauty' is just one of the most stunning ones I've ever seen. It has hundreds of blooms, is about 4 feet tall, and with that dark green glossy foliage it is just a wonderful plant. Should be illegal to not have one in every yard LOL!

No garden is complete without them, and I'm desperately WAVING OVER HERE!!! for the white one! If you have any left, would you mind PM-ing me with info? Just have to have one of those :)

Andi
Attachments
Tricyrtis Diesel Oil 070705.jpg
Tricyrtis Kellie 082105.jpg
Tricyrtis Dark Beauty 082805.jpg
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Beautiful, Andi!! I Love that Diesel Oil!!! Never heard of that one. And that one of Kellie's is very cool!! Does it have a name, or do they maked seeds....never seen seeds on them....

I love Chris's white one, too...Love ya Chris for letting me have one....I will have to think about that Dark Star in my fall order....4 foot tall would make them much more easier to see, wouldn't it.... :D
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Beautiful CHris

Post by oldcoot »

Looks like OC lost all his to the draught. Lost a LOT of other stuff too it seems, will just have to wait until next year to see what did survive. We had one cool, low humity morning and went out and waterted everything as well as I could. watered for about 3 hours Hosta look terrible , but I've seem them come back before. The ones is the shade look pretty descent, just DRY. Rock Garden Hosta are bone dry, but still have leaves. Seems OC may have lost a numb edr of his new Iris this summer too. Just too hot for everything, including OC. Once again, Pretty Flowers, Pretty Pictures... That Old Coot named John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Toadlover

Post by Toadlover »

I'm having zone envy- I can only grow T. Hirta, or at least that is the only one I have dared to try. I love it though- loaded with blooms this year. Any other hardy ones that I could try?
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

All are gorgeous!
New Topic Post Reply