Poke Berry hardiness

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Poke Berry hardiness

Post by JoshS »

Does anyone out there grow Poke Berry? More specifically, I'm interested in the variegated form Phytolacca americana 'Silberstein'. Everyone I've talked to has warned against the common green "weed", but this variegated form is quite striking!

Most places list it good to zone 5. I'm wondering what my chances are here in zone 4 (we've been down to -14 already!!!)?
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

I'm not sure about the varigated form, but the common green Poke weed is all over the place here. Does the varigated form still have the red stalks? That would be a beauty. I suspect the seeds would all be the green variety.
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

I don't know about it in zone 4, but in zone 5 it grows and survives fine, but is much more restrained and less aggressive than its green cousin, and I have not seen volunteer seedlings popping up around it. I would plant it in a slightly sheltered location, give it excellent drainage, and hope it doesn't read the sources that say it won't survive there.
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

I don't know about it in zone 4, but in zone 5 it grows and survives fine, but is much more restrained and less aggressive than its green cousin, and I have not seen volunteer seedlings popping up around it. I would plant it in a slightly sheltered location, give it excellent drainage, and hope it doesn't read the sources that say it won't survive there.
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I would expect it to be perfectly hardy for you, Josh. Would you like some seeds?

I have not been able to winter it over in containers.
Attachments
PhytolaccaS3.JPG
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
janet

Post by janet »

The green form is definitely hardy in my zone 4 winters that hit -30ºF several times a season. Variegated forms of most plants are usually a bit less hardy than the green, but it would certainly be worth trying if you really like it. (I'm on the list of those that hate the green one, nasty thing that it is.)
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
JoshS

Post by JoshS »

Viktoria, that's what I wanted to hear :P :P

So, Buckeye & Vik...do you think it is worth growing? What size does it reach?

I'll send you an email, Vik.

Thanks, everyone!
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

The one gardener I know growing it has had it about 3 years and it was about 3.5 ft tall this summer, and indeed is a striking plant. I just haven't been able to convince myself to try it because of its heritage.
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I forgot to answer one of your questions, Josh. In my garden it is as tall as I am, 5'8", if not taller. I do not fertilize it, so I suspect you could grow it larger than that. Allow 5' for width of one plant.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
JoshS

Post by JoshS »

So it gets to be good sized. Thanks...can't wait to see how it does!
New Topic Post Reply