Cyclamen seed

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

Doris_J

Cyclamen seed

Post by Doris_J »

Here's your weird find of the day. I'm outside weeding in the gravel pathway that goes through my garden, and I start finding Cyclamen babies. The nearest Cyclamen is maybe 10 feet from this area. Can they shoot seed that far? Look how many I found.
Attachments
cycbaby.JPG
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Nope. Cyclamen don't shoot seed. The ants carry them around the garden, so you'll have them popping up in unexpected places!!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Awwwww how cute, little babies....

Boy, I would not have though of the ants! :P
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

Those little stinkers! That would explain how they ended up in the nooks and crannies of the pathways. Good ants!
Attachments
cycwhite.JPG
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Yup... Do you remember me talking about my 101-year-old gardening friend from Snoqualmie? She had cyclamen everywhere and she was the first person who told me that it's the ants who carry the seeds around. I have a lot of patches of cycleman now from Izetta, and I love them all. I just let the ants do their thing and enjoy the results.

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
insam

Post by insam »

cute babies!
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

Oh Doris- if those babies are from a white cyclamen I would trade just about anything in my garden for just one. I've been trying to get the white for years ,but everytime I do something happens and it rots. Last time it was those #$%:evil:@* squirrels diggin it up every five minutes until it rotted. I have a couple of babies the ants planted for me from my pink one, but alas, I am still without the white. LMK if I can bring something to Andi's trade for you in exchange for one of those seedlings!
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
New Topic Post Reply