Diseased Podophyllum?

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

Doris_J

Diseased Podophyllum?

Post by Doris_J »

A few of my Podophyllums have a strange mottling which reminds me of rose mosaic virus. Does anyone know if there is a virus specific to Podophyllums, and should I dig these up or be worried in any way?
Attachments
podovirus.JPG
hostadad

Post by hostadad »

I wonder if that could be streaking? If you find out please tell me, I have a few of these plants also. Thanks
shadylanejewel
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by shadylanejewel »

I would take some of the leaves in to your county extension office and have them checked out before I'd ditch them.

Does look very virus-like though.
Julie

"To Plant a Seed is a Noble Deed - Propagation is Conservation" Norman C. Deno, Professor Emeritus of Chemistry
insam

Post by insam »

Sorry, I'm not sure Doris. I always go on the radical side of caution with this stuff and am generally not a fan of any sign of chlorosis in leaves. But then there are others who would put it into TC. :-)

We know very little about mosaic viruses etc. generally and how they affect specific plants, cross genera and families, and interact with other pathogens etc. Sometimes they are present when what seem to be unrelated symptoms are the immediate cause of concern. Quite an interesting topic though. The only thing I could find was related to rust in Podophyllum. I gave up the search because I grew weary of wading through results related to venereal warts. :???:
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Me too, Joseph! Who knew Podophyllum was such a versatile plant? :lol: :lol: :lol:
insam

Post by insam »

:lol: Versatile indeed!
New Topic Post Reply