More awesome Arisaemas...

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

More awesome Arisaemas...

Post by doublemom2 »

I just love these Jacks! Can't have enough of them... Must... Have... More!

LOL! Yes, it's another addiction for sure :)

Andi
Attachments
Another fantastic Jack with deep burgundy and white striping.
Another fantastic Jack with deep burgundy and white striping.
Arisaema franchetianum 060606.jpg (39.12 KiB) Viewed 3415 times
This tiny little thing is about 7" tall and the flower is smaller than a dime.  How cute is that!
This tiny little thing is about 7" tall and the flower is smaller than a dime. How cute is that!
Arisaema flavum ssp abbreviatum 060606.jpg (36.73 KiB) Viewed 3416 times
From what I understand, this is technically the same as A. tortuosum.
From what I understand, this is technically the same as A. tortuosum.
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Those are sure tempting. I love them. :cool:

Andi, how do you organize them? I have another one to plant and cannot make up my mind. Do you mix them in other planting or do you keep most of your Jacks in one area? I have kept my special ones in with my Trilliums. I feel safer about not digging them up and that bed is close to the house.I can keep an eye on them for blooms and if a critter were to dig them up I can get them covered right away.

Thanks for the picture.
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Well, I actually have most of mine in pots. The reason is that with our very wet winters in the Pac. NW, I've lost a few to rot unless they're planted in very well draining soil (my garden is on almost solid rock, lucky me!) or if they're in raised beds, or at least under the eaves of the house to prevent so much rain from getting to them. I do have some in the ground, and they do really well for me as long as they drain well. Just keep in mind that here in the Seattle area we can get prettttttty wet winters.

So... by having them in pots I keep them overwinter in my unheated greenhouse. That way I can control how much water they get during that wet season. And, I like having them out on my back porch, and in pots I can have whichever ones are in bloom out front, and rearrange them depending on what mood I'm in on any given day LOL!

Here is a photo of my Arisaema taiwanense in with some hostas, ferns, astilbes, etc.

Andi
Attachments
Arisaema taiwanense 061005.jpg
Andi
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

They are all cute/pretty, but that Arisaema franchetianum! Whew! What a knock out! How big does that one get?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Not sure how large A. franchetianum gets, it was just given to me a couple of weeks ago at a local plant trade. I'll keep an eye on it to see how large it gets, looks like it's going to be a fairly good size. So far my tallest one is A. tortuosom (a.k.a. helleborifolium) topping out at about three feet. I have others that are supposed to get taller than that, but are still young.

Andi
Andi
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Oh, Okay, I thought maybe they were like a 12 inches all fo them. Cool!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
insam

Post by insam »

Cool Andi!. I like them all. These plants can be addictive too, eh? :???:
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Oh, shoot, I forgot to mention the "Addiction Warning" that should go along with all of these plants.

It goes something like this....
"Warning! Warning! Enjoyment of these plants can form an addiction that can ultimatly be severely debilitating to your wallet. Use extreme caution when considering a collection of arisaemas."

There's always the seed exchanges, which is where I get a lot of mine from. They take 3-4 years to bloom from seed. Even though it's a bit of a wait, it's very satisfying to see them grow from tiny little 1" stems with a puny leaf on top into these wonderful, tropical-looking plants.

Oops... guess I should post another warning about the starting of these plants from seed... that can be addictive too!

Andi
Andi
New Topic Post Reply