My Coleus

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

Bev

My Coleus

Post by Bev »

I tried my luck at planting them this year. They are just planted in my mixed up flowerbed.
I like it that way tho...LOL.

Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

I like the last pic the best. Pretty!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

I love coleus! They look so nice all season long and those fancy new varieties can add a lot of color during August when not much else is blooming.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Bev

Post by Bev »

Thanks! A few are the sun coleus. So far so good!
madmama

Post by madmama »

Hi Bev,
Just a little FYI that won’t make a difference to your planting. The plant in the first picture with the pink in the middle of the leaves is not a coleus. They look like one but it is actually a Perilla. While shopping for my annuals this spring I found them marked properly at only one nursery. Everywhere else they were marked sun coleus. At one place I was asking for them and the owner said she had never heard of them. After I found them with the coleus I showed her what I had been talking about because I thought she would be interested. Well instead she got mad and kind of ignorant with me. She ended up looking it up on the internet and did apologize to me.
I have had them in my annual sun bed for a couple of years and just love them. The more sun the brighter the colors. And one of the things I really like about it is it blooms less then the coleus does. And just like the coleus they start very easy from cuttings. I just get a couple in the spring and make lots of babies. So give that beauty lots of sun and watch the color just shine.
<font size="+2" I>Jane<I/font>
Bev

Post by Bev »

You know I should have known that madmama...my sister on here, Annie bought them for me & told me. LOL...Thanks for reminding me. I would have mistaken them for a coleus if she hadn't told me otherwise. I am hoping they do well. I love the colors on them.
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Hi Madmama Jane, thanks for the education on Perilla, I have always mistakenly thought they were coleus. I learn something new every day!

Hi Bev! I didn't know you were Annie's sister. I'm here in Central IL, too! Welcome!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
wholyhosta

Post by wholyhosta »

Jane

Nice pictures and good info to have about the perilla!

I've noticed how easily the cuttings root but can you explain why the markings change on the cuttings?

Thanks!!

Brenda B........ hosta forum hangout!
Brenda B- z7b GA
madmama

Post by madmama »

Hi Brenda B,
Could you explain a little more about what you mean that the markings change? Not sure I really understand your question.
<font size="+2" I>Jane<I/font>
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

Beautiful coleus!!

Have you ever brought them in to overwinter?? I have some big pots of these and they just seem too nice to let go of. Would you bring the whole thing in or just take cuttings??
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Sorry OC missed this when you posted it

Post by oldcoot »

Guess OC was just too busy looking after his Liliums. He loves Coleus and plants them every spring......THAK fo being Patient with OC ........
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

I'm actually doing both with my coleus. The main plant is my stock plant and I've taken lots of cuttings which I'll be able to share. The last picture is one called Oompah and I'll bet I have 15 rooted plants from cuttings off the parent plant which is now 2' x 2'. One season!!
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

And what do you do with them over the winter ??

Post by oldcoot »

Mine always die back, but then never come up again !! OC
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
GiniaC

Post by GiniaC »

[quote="

I've noticed how easily the cuttings root but can you explain why the markings change on the cuttings?

Thanks!!

quote]

I believe you might be talking about the outer coloring. As soon as you bring them indoors or give them less light the dark area around the bright pink turns back to pure green. I kind of like them that way. :wink:
New Topic Post Reply