Epimediums

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Epimediums

Post by Tigger »

Or, as we call them for fun, "epiteeniums" ('cause they're all small). I thought I'd put them in here to give this forum some love (they are shade/woodland plants after all).

This is our work-horse ground-cover epi, 'Sulfureum.' It gets spread here and there, and seems happy just about anywhere we put it. They bloom like mini-mini jonquils.

We've had this epsteinii a few years, but it's never bloomed so nicely. And it does look like is starting to spread politely. When the leaves come out on this one, they're much more spiny-looking than most others we have.

We must have bought this later last year (after the convention), but cannot find the tag! It must have been a pretty good-sized plant, given its vigor this spring. It looks like 'Orangekönigen,' but I know I have that somewhere else and wouldn't likely have bought another. At any rate, it doesn't match anything else in Darrell Probst's catalog photos. Any idea, Andi?
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Very pretty!

I do hope you find out what the last one is.. I would like to give that one a try myself.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Lovely.

Never tried them here. But several times in my former garden.. it didn't like to gtow there át all, but but loved the neighbour garden :evil:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

It does look like E. warleyense 'Orangekönigen', Tigger.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

Well, this is monstrous compared to my tagged 'Orangekönigen,' but I'll compare them once they leaf out. All the little plants I have gotten from Mr. Probst need to get moved to better locations; they can be slow to establish themselves!
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

They look great, David. I love epis and find them addictive, however I have not had much luck with the plants from Mr. Probst. My Lilafee from Chris is growing great! :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Wonderful pics, Tigger!! :P I especially like the 3rd unknown - reminds me of an orchid.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I have found that the small plants from Darrell Probst grow exceedingly well and look like a gallon-sized plant after just one season. Darrell explained to me why he grows them in those small pots. That is what they like. If you over-pot them, they just sit and sulk.
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

No, I'm not dissing Darrell. It's my poor planting location that has kept some of his things small; they're getting moved in a few weeks (after they bloom).

My mind is starting to recall buying e. warleyense; maybe it's just that and not the 'Orangekönigen' selection from that grex/species. Based on Darrell's description, there's not a whole lot of difference other than growing habit. Either way, it's a keeper!
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Tigger wrote:No, I'm not dissing Darrell. It's my poor planting location that has kept some of his things small;
I didn't mean to sound like I was dissing Darrell either, it was due to the location of mine as well...sorry about that. :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Tigger - do you have E. Black Sea? It's outstanding, one of my all-time favorites out of all of my epis. I got it in a one-gallon pot three years ago, and it's a HUGE mound about 4 feet across and 2-1/2 feet tall. The leaves are evergreen and go dark burgundy overwinter, and it's always my first to flower every year with little yellow/orange flowers.

Andi
Attachments
Epimedium Black Sea 040306.jpg
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Darrell's catalog came yesterday. The pic of E. warleyense looks like yours, Tigger, while 'OrangeKonigen' has lighter flowers.
New Topic Post Reply