Actaea rubra - red baneberry

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Actaea rubra - red baneberry

Post by Chris_W »

I don't know if I mentioned this before or not, but a few summers ago we discovered a wild growing, volunteer, red baneberry (Actaea rubra) growing here in our pines, which was pretty exciting for me as I had always wanted this plant and never found it :) Strange thing about it is that we haven't been able to find any more than this one plant :hmm: So I got wondering what the best way is to propagate it, and last summer as the berries were starting to open I took the seeds and tucked them around the main plant, just a little below the soil. Well, they sprouted by fall, at least 7 or 8 of them! I'm so excited to think that we might be able to propagate a little colony of these and offer them one day :)

Here is a picture of red baneberry:
(photo by walter siegmund)
(photo by walter siegmund)
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Re: Actaea rubra - red baneberry

Post by pauhaus »

Chris, that is so great you found one so close to home and you didn't even have to pay shipping :lol: . Sounds like you're on your way to successfully propagating them too, very cool. Good luck with them. I think the berries really add a great touch of color. Is the plant identical to white baneberry except for the berries?
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Yup, pretty much the same plant, just red berries instead of white. We are selling a white one called Misty Blue this year that not only has white berries but also blue-green foliage that is really pretty: http://www.perennialnursery.com/actaea-misty-blue.html Maybe you saw them here last summer?

Yes, it was cool to just find this plant. I've never seen it sold by wholesalers so we've never grown it before. There are some other wildflowers here that I've never seen before too, and it seems like we keep finding more, even after 8 years!
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

That's awesome. I didn't notice the 'Misty Blue' plant you mentioned, I'm always blinded by hosta when I visit so I'll look hard for it next time. Looks like a very pretty plant...hmmm
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

The seeds take a year or more to germinate so I suspect the seedlings may have been from the previous year's seeds. I have grown this plant from seed and it took four years to get a sellable plant! Now I have it coming up here and there, farther and farther away from the original planting.

The colorful fruits are very persistent, lasting for months.

Viktoria
Attachments
Actaearubrafruit.jpg
Last edited by viktoria on May 09, 2012 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks for the info on the seeds, Viktoria. :) I was very curious about how long they take, and couldn't find it in my propagation book (it wasn't even listed). They sure seem to like where they are at in this one spot, and the original plant went from 1 bloom stalk to 3 so it is happy too - looks like it will go untouched for a while ;)
gamekeeper

Post by gamekeeper »

My Misty Blue you sent is doing great
Bob Scott
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by Bob Scott »

Chris, I'm thinking cuttings could be a good way to multiply it.
I start cuttings on most of the plants I have because my kids are always wanting something from my yard.
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Seeds are easier! I have these coming up all over my garden now and those that are in the wrong place get potted up to sell.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
New Topic Post Reply