Tassel Fern & Hardy Japanese Holly Ferns

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

Schattenfreude
USDA Zone: 5b - 6a

Tassel Fern & Hardy Japanese Holly Ferns

Post by Schattenfreude »

Hey all,

Lowe's is clearing out all of their live plants and I picked up some attractive gallon-sized ferns today for a mere $1.75 per plant: Tassel Fern (Polystichum polybepharum) and Japanese Holly Fern (Cyrtomium falcatum). Does anyone have any experience with these ferns?

Thanks for sharing your 2 cents :-)

Kevin in KC
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Tassel Fern & Hardy Japanese Holly Ferns

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Kevin,

I've lost Tassel fern in really cold years before, so don't grow it any longer. It is typically hardy to zone 5b but really takes a hit and is set back badly if it gets that cold so a slightly protected spot could help.

There are two basic species of Holly Ferns, Cyrtomium fortunei and Cyrtomium falcatum, and the first is easily hardy to zone 5, having survived -20 degree temps here before, but the latter is not as hardy and won't survive if you were to get a typical zone 5b winter. Zone 7 is usually about the limit for falcatum to stay happy. Again, try to find a sheltered spot next to a tree or a wall and you might be okay. Also mulch them after planting to protect them from heaving as they won't put out any new roots this time of year.

Good luck!

Chris

(by the way, I've seen some Cyrtomium falcatum in the box stores that were mislabeled and were actually Cyrtomium fortunei, so you never know)
Schattenfreude
USDA Zone: 5b - 6a

Re: Tassel Fern & Hardy Japanese Holly Ferns

Post by Schattenfreude »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the background info. In comparing the two with pics online, it does look like mine might be the fortunei after all, given the size of the leaves and space between them. I sure hope so! I guess we'll know come next spring!

Kevin in KC
New Topic Post Reply