Filagree...germination has begun!!

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

dmi188

Filagree...germination has begun!!

Post by dmi188 »

I checked my seeds, in damp paper towels. 7 of the 50 have the tinest root growth beginning. Those have been transferred to a bakery container. I like using this method when I am trying to keep a close eye on results. That way I can tell just how many seeds germinated, and when. Now the fun begins! :D
Denise
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

Oh, how exciting! I can hardly wait to see how these turn out. Wish I had more room to start these seeds, but I think it’s turning out to be more fun “sharing the project” and making new friends at the same time.

wanda
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

i would really like to see some pics when they get a bit bigger

keep us updated

My wife did me the favor of cutting off the few flower stalks that i 'missed' :eek: I guess she really did do me a favor as I did not really have the time to grow them this winter anyway
KatailS

Post by KatailS »

Way to go, Denise!
Can't wait to see baby pictures!
KatailS
greenseeds
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by greenseeds »

:beer: WhooHoo! Now you're cookin Denise! Can't wait to see more young'ins! :P
Tonia
Not all those who wander are lost
J.R.R. Tolkien

My Hosta List
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

Any updates?

wanda
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

My germination rate is not great at all :(

I only have signs of life in 3 of the seeds and one seems to be a terminal white.

I will keep checking though and if I can remember to charge the battery on the digi I will post pics of the babies that have appeared.

Alexa
NeverEnough

Post by NeverEnough »

It has been over 3 weeks now since I sowed them in a moist papertowel and they have just germinated. 20 of them have put out the first whitish/green hairlike pieces and have been put in a seed starting mix under a grow light. I think another 5 are probably going to sprout soon as I can feel a swollen bump on one end of the seed. The remaining 25 seeds are completely flat and I think unviable. So I guess that puts me at a 50% germination rate.

Whatever the outcome this has been fun, OK a little frustrating for this nebie-to-hosta-seed-sowing, but I am very excited now to see what I will get! You have me hooked. I have always cut the scapes on most of my hostas, but now I have been convinced to let some go & let mother nature make some magic.

Thanks again,
I will keep you updated
Jennifer aka NeverEnough
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

So far, have 20 seeds germinate. As soon as they do, I put them in potting mix, with just a bit of spagnum moss on top to mark the row. I now have 5 that have their first leaves. Will take pics when they are a bit bigger.
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

Oh, how wonderful! I am just frothing at the bit to get the remainder of the seed started, but if I am smart, won’t do so until mid-March. Just don’t have the room for them once they get bigger. If I wait until mid-march, I will have 3 month babies to plant out in mid-June...and still have room for furniture. Although, I have to admit, have been looking real hard at the rocking chair. Do I really need it? So far, yes...but that may be changing once I see baby Filigree pictures (hehe).

Thank you, everyone, for keeping us updated!

wanda
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Okay - just to clarify a bit. I sowed mine directly in sterile potting mix in bakery trays, so I have no idea if little roots have started on any more. I sprinkled on the potting mix very lightly to cover them.

The only ones that have leaves are the ones I mentioned.

Alexa
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

Here's a first look at Filagree seedlings. So far they just look ordinary green.
hostarod

Post by hostarod »

Sorry to hear that they are all greenies, I have tried to grow Filigree seeds for 3 years with not much success as of yet. But I am sure to keep trying. Good luck and I hope that something special pops up soon. Hostarod
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

Yippee! Baby pictures! Looking good so far!

What are everyone’s thoughts on culling? Once I get some growing, I plan to let all that live to grow at least through one whole season. The reason is that I have two mottled hosta: Filigree and Lakeside Shadows, and they are exact opposites in when the mottling shows best . Filigree is brightly colored in spring, then the brightness of the pattern fades over the season. Lakeside Shadows looks plain in spring, but as summer progresses the bright mottling appears. I hope to grow even the ones that appear plain just in case the coloration shows up later...you just never know!

Does anyone know if other mottled hosta all have a plainer and a more brightly colored season?

wanda
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

I've got an acre here, so I will grow all that live on thru to next year, at least. I know some traits don't show up until maturity. Just don't know which.
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

If I were growing Filagree seed I'd not cull anything. With the germination rate and the coloration being subtle and likely not immediately visible at the seedling stage I'd not risk tossing seedlings. If you've got the space grow for a couple of years, then if nothing give as house warming gifts.
Mike
Milwaukee
gardner4eternity

Post by gardner4eternity »

I've always had poor germination with Filagree. I do have one seedling that will be in the garden for its 3rd summer. It wasn't until last year that it developed a margin on the edge of the leaf. I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like this year. I gave a bunch of Filagree seeds to a co-worker and he just told me yesterday that his are sprouting up all over after only a couple weeks. I've had mine sown since early January and although some sprouted, they're all just lying down and not doing anything. What's up with that?!

Sandy
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Thanks for posting, Sandy. Misery loves company. With everyone's successes with Filagree, I was feeling very inept since only 2 of my 50 seeds have sprouted. :( Maybe we have the turtles that win the race at the end of the game? :lol:
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Hey Sandy and MaryAnn... I'm in the same boat. I only had 3 seeds germinate and one seemd to be a terminal white. Certainly not the success rate I've seen with the other seeds I've started.
Anyway, here are some pics of the babies so far - sorry they are blurry, the seedlings are still so small my camera can't focus that close LOL!

SnowCrazed

Post by SnowCrazed »

I didnt know the terminal white happened with other plants too...I used to get those quite a bit when creating my own roses :x. I have a few hostas, might have to try starting some from seed next year. Don't know the names of what I have. They were rescues someone had tossed into the alley, and some plain green lance shaped green ones were planted in the front yard before I moved in. The rescue ones are more interesting....two are verigated and one has big blue round leaves.
New Topic Post Reply