Seed pod question

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

mamaw2

Seed pod question

Post by mamaw2 »

I've got only 2 seed pods. One on Niagara Falls and one on Elegans-both OP. They have been there since July. I've read the post in the other section but as there is only one pod on each how do I tell if they are 'ripe' without possibly losing all the seeds checking? I've never harvested seeds before so this a whole new thing for me. Thanks for all your help.
Anita
Seedseller1

Post by Seedseller1 »

I've heard others say that so many days after pollination (can't remember if it was 60?) the seeds would be mature, but I would think this would vary with enviornmental influences. In your case, with only the two pods, I would watch them closely and when the pods turn brown and start to dry out the seeds will be as mature as they will get. When the pods dry completely, they will start to split open. If you can catch them in this stage, you can harvest them with minimal (if any) seed loss.
mamaw2

Post by mamaw2 »

Thanks Mike!
Anita
leafmould

Post by leafmould »

All good advice SS gave you :P
I think the average time is six weeks. Gently squeeze the pod when you think the time is near.If it is ready, it should give a little.A unripe pod is very solid.
If it gives, you can use your nail and pry open the end of the pod for a peek :o ..if they look black, pluck them, after you mark them for I.D. Cut the scape at the base and let the plant get back to being a plant :P
Mr. Leafmould
mamaw2

Post by mamaw2 »

Thanks Mr. Leafmould. I did go out and check them yesterday and the pods are still very green and firm, so I will be waiting. I probably won't get the pretty babies you all do but I thought it would fun to try seeds this winter anyway.
Anita
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Anita -- Don't forget that you can also get seeds on the Hallson's seed exchange, for a relatively small donation to the upkeep of the forum. Some of us have lots of seeds, and will be posting availability on the seed forum, probably toward the end of September through middle of October. Phyllis
New Topic Post Reply