Seed ??

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

mommatina
USDA Zone: 5

Seed ??

Post by mommatina »

I am sure this question has been discussed before..

I have been collecting seeds, but have never really tried hosta seed before.. This year I have collected seed pods, but have noticed that some have white seeds in them.. are these seeds any good? And why do some plants have seed pods and others don't, or only have a couple? :o :oops: I hope I don't sound as dumb as I feel? :o :oops:
http://mccomaswv.com/Beartown/beartown_wv.htm
Tina
Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew.
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

White seeds are not viable, brown or black ones may be, and the thicker the seed is at the end, the more likely you are to get germination.
Unripe seeds are white so if they are all white you might have picked the pod too early, they need about 45 days after pollination.
Each grain of pollen can potentially fertilze one egg in the ovary, and they are not all genetically matched well enough for it to make a viable seed.
Some cultivars make large amonts of viable seed (Sieboldiana family), some none (Undulata family), and most are in between.
The controlled crosses often have only a few viable seeds in a pod, I presume because the genes are so different between the two parents that the right pairing of certain key genes has to be present to form a seed.
My impression is that if one seed is viable, a pod will form.
I have however had lots of examples where i got no viable seeds in a pod.
Once you have collected your seeds (and I dry them a few weeks) they will germinate in a moist environment at about 75 degrees fahrenheit in about 10-14 days. This often is done on a pot inside a clear plastic bag. I use Bob Evans carry out food containers.
Look at the hosta seed exchange thread posts from last year for some ideas about growing, and follow along as we start the seed exchange for 2005!
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Good answer, Dave! Tina, don't worry about asking 'dumb' questions. There are so many really knowledgable people here, and it's a safe place to ask! :D
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Tina don't worry about asking dumb questions, cause I usually ask the same ones, spring and fall, over and over. :lol: :wink:

Did you cut all your pods off? The seed exchange will be going soon, and you can get them there..... :D
New Topic Post Reply