How do I prepare seeds for storage/shipping?

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

How do I prepare seeds for storage/shipping?

Post by caliloo »

I just got a HAUL of seeds courtesy of my local fav nursery. They allowed me to go through and gather pods from whatever I want!

So here I sit with 20+ baggies of seed pods (all labeled with the pod parent). I know I need to remove them from the pods, but should they be dried before I pack them in envelopes? Can I put them directly in the envelopes and in the freezer? As soon as I get them under control, I will be listing them on the exchange for donations, I just want to be sure what I am sending has the best chance for germination and I don't want to ruin them through my ignorance.

Thanks for any help and advice!

Alexa
Kent

Post by Kent »

Alexa,

I always dry mine for one to three weeks before storing them. If there is moisture in the air tight bag they will get yucky :cry:
I also find it easier to depod them after thay have dried out a bit.

Kent
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Okay, I'm glad I asked. Can I leave them in the bags with the tops open or should I put them in bowls?

This is going to be a space commitment that my family will have to work around :lol: but I want to do the best I can.

Thanks for the help!

Alexa
Kent

Post by Kent »

Alexa,
I wouldn't put them in the bags until that are dry. Just leave them on the good china to dry :o :lol: :o

Kent :wink:
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

LOL Kent! :lol:

Do they need to dry in a single layer and spread out? I had hoped to temporarily put them in small bowls, but I don't know if there would be enough air circulation.

If need be, I *can* put them on the good china and on the pool table. That is the only place where I could fit 20 plates :eek: :lol: :eek:

Thanks again so much for your help!

Alexa
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Looks like you have a nice hosta pod appetizer buffet going there Alexa! Where's the dip? (and I don't mean me) :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

LOL Paul!

I was thinking that some of them *DO* look like edamame! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alexa
barbara

Post by barbara »

Alexa, spread them out on paper plates! I usually just cut the scapes and throw them upside down into paper bags and put them into a cool dark spare bedroom. Leave the top of the bag open, if the pods start splitting, any loose seed will fall to the bottom of the bag.
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Thanks for the suggestion Barbara!

I moved them to paper lunch bags (tops open) and have them in a dark corner of my family room. It is the coolest and darkest spot in the house.

I'll get this figured out yet! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alexa
greenseeds
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by greenseeds »

:o Now that's a lot of seed there! :o
You did good Alexa! :lol:
Tonia
Not all those who wander are lost
J.R.R. Tolkien

My Hosta List
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

So, you can pick them when still green? I thought they had to dry on the vine or nearly? My mother cut a ton of hers off and they lay on the grass for 2 weeks before I came up and noticed them. I grabbed them, but wasn't sure it they'd dry now? Is this still okay to use? The seed appears viable taht I opened. Black with small fatness to the seed end.
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
greenseeds
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by greenseeds »

You betcha Jane, they're still good if the seed is plump!!!! :P
Tonia
Not all those who wander are lost
J.R.R. Tolkien

My Hosta List
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Seeds

Post by thehostagourmet »

They're ripe in about 6 weeks, green or not, an supposedly late bloomers will ripen more quickly, biut I'm afraid to experiment with crosses I care about.

I have no trouble drying them in paper bags. Small quantities (1-3 Pods, pods vary in size too) are fine in small coin envelopes. The banks used to give out larger envelopes when you cashed a check. I saved some for use with crosses that produced several pods.

Kent is right about it being easier to remove the seed if they dry out somewhat. Sometimes I can't wait, though. It's a matter of when I have free time.

George
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Well, my goodness! Sad thing is, I have no idea what they are. THey are a deep blue hosta I got for her some years ago and are O.P. to boot, that remain free of slugs, or any nemos and have done well even under north northwest exposure in zone 4! :) I'll have to try some to see what they produce.

How do you keep seed if you aren't using them all? How long are they viable and how do I store them to keep them say 6 months or a year?

There is a whole grocery bag of them waiting for attention! :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Thank you folks for answering OC's question for next year.

Post by oldcoot »

:bd: :bd: :bd: Now he knows what to do...........OC saying thank you a year early.........
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
hummingbird
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by hummingbird »

Jane, when the seeds are dry just store them in a baggie inside an airtight container. I like to double contain them less chance of drying out too badly. Just store them in the freezer and they'll be good to use for years and years. :P
"Friends are as elusive as rainbows"
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

LOL!

'Tis the season!

I saw this thread pop up and noticed it is from exactly a year ago last week!

I will be off to the same nursery (i it ever stops raining) to get more seeds for the exchange this year....

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply