Pollen Collecting & Hybridizing Pictorial?

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

marriedtomud

Pollen Collecting & Hybridizing Pictorial?

Post by marriedtomud »

Hi all

Might be a tough go but thought I'd put this question
out and see what responses I can get.

Would anyone that hybridizes happen to have a pictorial
of thier methods for
1. Collecting & storing pollen
2. The actual pollen to stigma fertilization process

Do you cover flower after? Do you remove stigma...if
so when?

Curtis/m2m
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I made up a presentation about this for Hiram College Alumni science day last year. I can post some of them if you like.

I don't think my freezing /storage system is good enough, mostly because there is ice in the test tubes, therefore too much moisture when I put them in. I probably need to dry it some before freezing.

When pollinating outdoor plants I cover the scapes the night before with a plastic bag (to keep bees away), the ones they put newspapers in work well.
When I pollinate I remove the anthers with pollen to prevent bees coming in and adding "self" pollen, sometimes I remove them before I pollinate so I don't accidentally knock self pollen onto the pistil/stigma.
I remove the petals afterward so bees don't easily identify the flower (but some still figure it out) and they are less likely to touch the pistil/stigma with their body.

This year I did quite a bit of my crossing indoors. With enough light from a southern exposure it works well on many varieties. Some cultivars are stubborn, probably need more light or fertilizer or water.
marriedtomud

Post by marriedtomud »

Right on the money Dave. I'd like very much to see
the lecture pics. Good info as always....thanks.

Curtis/m2m
New Topic Post Reply