Seedling oddities

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Seedling oddities

Post by caliloo »

I was stunned to see that ALL the Cherry Berry seeds I started (about 20) have come up white. I wonder what soer of genetic freaky accident has caused an entire batch of seeds to be terminal/fatal whites! :eek:

I have an entire tray of seeds that turned moldy despite that they have all been started the same way, same sterile seed starting mix, etc. I think of the 50 or so in the tray, 1 may germinate.

I had about 20 Stained Glass seeds. 0% germination :(

Anyone else have strange happenings in their seed starting efforts? Maybe I started some in the wrong phase of the moon?

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
jay dee

oddities

Post by jay dee »

I guess I had the same phase of the moon as you calliloo because all of my Cherry Berry were lethals too. Somewhere, deep in my memory cell, I seem to recall this was common with these seeds but since I'm stubborn, I tried them anyway. "They" were correct.

I also had the same lethals with Eskimo Pie and Christmas Candy. Great germination for the few seeds they made, but they withered away in the two leaf stage.

In general, I had less germination this year than last and they were sooooooo much slower to germinate than last. They were all started the same way, the same medium, the same, the same, the same, etc. I still have 104 in various size pots with one more tray to get through. I really think that is enough to tend.
One of the seedlings that already has two eyes.

jay dee
leafmould

Post by leafmould »

Hi Alexa :P next year, try looking at the colour of the pod and the colour where the pedicle is attached to the scape.
The pod colour is a good indicator of the colour seedlings may be, all white pod attached to white scape ?? :cry: :cry:
look for a pod that has a colour ratio you would like to see in a seedling :cool:
Mr. Leafmould
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Lethals

Post by thehostagourmet »

The basic rule is that the seedlings will pick up the color (those inheriting from momma) from the center of the leaf. With 'Cherry Berry' that's white. I cross 'Bright Lights' all the time to get its yellow centers into the mix. A white or yellow margined plant will pass on its green/blue center.

George
Last edited by thehostagourmet on Feb 09, 2006 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pauhaus

Post by pauhaus »

I had great success last year for a first timer. This year however...must be the moon thing. I planted six pots this year in coir and I still don't have anything germinating and it's going to be three weeks this Saturday :o. Maybe the coir was too old or it wasn't moistened enough, but I do have a lot of condensation on my baggies...I don't know what to think. The coir seems like such a great medium for seed starting when rehydrated and I know Tonia swears by it. Oh well, there's always next year :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
thehostagourmet

Seedlings

Post by thehostagourmet »

Paul, last year after about 30 years of growing seeds under lights, I changed some procedures which resulted in too dry a growing medium. After 2-3 weeks, no germination! I figured out the problem, watered the flats, and started counting. They were up in two more weeks.

Try it. Nothing to lose.

George
pauhaus

Post by pauhaus »

Thanks George, I will give it a try and let you know. :P
Paul
My Hosta List

John

Post by John »

Paul. I've found my hosta seedlings take a minimum of 21 days, and easily 30 or more... so don't toss those seed trays too early.

George, that's great information. I never heard of that rule, but it is sure good to know! Thanks.
pauhaus

Post by pauhaus »

Thanks, John. I wasn't giving up on them just yet. Last year I had sprouts at 2 weeks, so I guess I need to practice patience. :P
Paul
My Hosta List

jay dee

seedlings

Post by jay dee »

Coir is a great planting medium and I have had great success with it. All my seeds this year were slower to germinate than last year and they have been planted in the same manner as previous years. They will start coming up soon.

jay dee
pauhaus

Post by pauhaus »

Thanks, Jay Dee. That's a beautiful baby, by the way. :P
Paul
My Hosta List

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Great info all!

I think I remember someone mentioning about the pod color being a good indicator, but on Cherry Berry, the pods are all reddish pink. :???: I had no idea it would produce all white non-viable seedlings.

That being said, it looks like there is one late to the party seedling that is just pushing up with a whole lot more green than the others. The first leaf hasn't even unfuled yet, but it definitely looks like it has at least some green. If it does live, maybe I'll keep it just to see what happens with it.

Thanks again!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply