Trait Help

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

Seedseller1

Trait Help

Post by Seedseller1 »

It's time to abandon some of my seedlings for lack of space. I have crosses from several that I would like to keep a couple of each and was wondering if traits from the pollen parent would show up later on some of these "greenies". If I remember correctly, I believe Kent stated that the ripples in Clovelly seedlings might not show up until the second or third year and didn't know if the same would be true for the wavyness in some of the pollen parents I used. A good percentage of my Marilyn Monroe and Ga Ga seedlings show those undulating edges in the 2nd or 3rd leaf stage, but should I expect anything from crosses with Reptillian, Sea Frolic, Elvis Lives, Sunpower, or Komodo Dragon if I grow some of these out?
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Wavey and piecrusting traits

Post by thehostagourmet »

Mike, as Kent said, some parents' traits don't show immediately in the offspring. I think waviness, rather than piecrusting, shows more often the first year. Color will show immediately, except the blue wax, which takes up to several months. Mine all show blue before I remove them from under the lights in May, if they are going to be blue.

If they're not streaked in the first few weeks, if that's what I'm looking for, they're gone. I hear people say that with some pod parents streaks may take time. I don't have the room to wait, and I grow enough seedlings that are streaked, that if I miss a couple that way, too bad.

If you're looking for yellow, be careful. Some of those light greens will turn to yellow as they buld up time under the lights or sun.

George
Seedseller1

Post by Seedseller1 »

Thanks, George, but I guess what I was asking is what are my chances of getting some piecrusting from those I listed (and I forgot to include Green Piecrust seedlings), is the piecrusting trait readily passed on by any of them, or is more like a "1 in 100" thing? Anybody with any experience with these?
Kent

Post by Kent »

Mike,

Keep the ones with the best substance and back cross these next year to the parent and to each other. Your next generation will show some promise.

Kent
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

% of seedlings to arry picrusting/waviness trait

Post by thehostagourmet »

Mike, the answer is no one knows, because no one has done an actual study on it. A few years ago I had quite a few 'Donahue Piecrust' (considered by many to be the best parent for piecrusting) OP seeds to plant and I mentioned it to the late Ed Elslager, asking the same question you're asking. He, being of a scientific and statistical background, suggested I keep detailed records,of germination rates, and then keep all the seedlings until they begin to show piecrusting. I envisioned a 3-5 year project for which, like you, I don't have room. Mary Chastain's advice in a Hosta College hybridizing class she taught was to cull ruthlessly. I'll always remember that.

Notwithstanding that, it would be an interesting project for someone with lots of space, both under lights, and outdoors.

George
Seedseller1

Post by Seedseller1 »

Thanks Kent and George. I just came up from the basement raiding my flats for the final time--I just couldn't part with some of those crosses that showed nothing more than a healthy seedling. Those that are left in the flats won't go to waste tho, we have a facility just up the road that takes care of brain injured patients and they run a greenhouse as a form of therapy. I have visited with the gals that run it and they were excited to take my leftovers and "give 'em a try". Maybe I can "borrow" some shelf space from them if things get too crowed around here before they can be moved outside.
Last edited by Seedseller1 on Feb 18, 2006 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

You could have lovely peicrust babies from any of them, but if you have, only time will tell.
But Kent is right, if you, like the rest of us have to cull, cull the ones with thin leaves, and let the others grow. My point is, even if is a beautiful piecrust hosta, there is no reason to let it live, if it is a problem hosta in the garden.. there are enough bad ones out there :wink:

When I am an old lady, not afraid of anything, I will tell you how bad I treat my hostas the first year :wink:
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
leafmould

Post by leafmould »

Hi Mike :P your 'Greenhouse plan' sounds great. All hybridizers would love to see the end result of every seed, but not many have space or time to see them all through. Sharing seedlings with people that you feel will have a good chance raising them is a great way of expanding your efforts. I give a lot of seedlings away each year to visitors here, all I ask is they keep a record of the cross somewhere and bring a leaf back in five years in case I want an eye 8-)

About traits and culling, some seedlings can show amazing piecrusting from day one and flatten out ayear or two later, Some will intensify with age. Your best bet, if you have to cull, is to choose seedlings that show the traits you are looking for at the earliest age.
Mr. Leafmould
New Topic Post Reply