Favorite Seedling

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

toymr2mk2

Favorite Seedling

Post by toymr2mk2 »

Here are some pics of my favorite seedling so far or at least for today.....:). It is a a Christmas Tree Gala op baby. It is by far the best grower I have with a well developed second eye and a small third eye and it is not even 4 months old! I love the soft gold color and muted streaking. Didn't expect so gold seedlings from this one but got a couple of nice ones. Hope y'all enjoy!

renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Very NICE!! :cool: Easy to see why you like it. :P
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
hostarod

Post by hostarod »

It's sure looking good I hope that it will be a nice addition to the garden. Happy growing, Hostarod
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

I'm impressed by the size of your plant! The color is very nice too!
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

Great looking, healthy plant!
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

great looking hosta

i have what may be a dumb question but you said it is not even 4 months old what day do start counting from, day planted or days from germ. or when - as you can probably guess mine never look as good as anyones here in such a short time.
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

That's a really nice one, I'm excited for you!
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Very nice, indeed! Is it in a 3 inch pot? It certainly does look big in that pic and I love the coloring. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
toymr2mk2

Post by toymr2mk2 »

Thanks for all of your nice comments guys. It is in a 4" square by 6" deep pot. Just moved it up this weekend. I start my age countdown from the day I planted the seeds. They started coming up in about a week after planting. This is one of the most vigorous ones of the bunch. These babies make it easy. Now with the rest of the bunch, there are some still in small cups. Seems like they will never get big enough to move up. I was very surprised with the number of gold and chartruese babies from CTG. Is this normal for this one or did some nearby goldie mix with it?.....lol.....This is from the CTG seeds I bought during Hallson's seed sale. So thanks again John!(jaspersail)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

I agree, those seeds from jaspersail do grow like gangbusters, and in very different colors and size. Some of mine will be nice to follow in the years to come. I really like the one in your 3.pic. it seems to be sort of dusty golden..nice
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
toymr2mk2

Post by toymr2mk2 »

thy,
All of the seeds I got from John have done well. Have you started your CTG seeds yet? If so have you gotten similar widely varying results? I also have some nice streakers from John's Dark Corner. Can't wait for them to get a little bigger!
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Very pretty! I get some really nice lt. gold seedlings from CTG. It is my fav. momma plant. I think it prob. got some pollen from a near by blue, if you have one near. I like to do crosses of any thick substance, blue to my CTG, and get some very nice thick leaved little seedlings. Great pics also by the way :cool: .
Jaspersail

Post by Jaspersail »

Glad to hear that the seeds are growing! It looks great.

--John
marriedtomud

Post by marriedtomud »

Hey Art
Great looking baby.
I really like the undulating leaves and the
muted streaking with Gold is beautiful.
I think I mentioned that the babies from
Christmas Tree Gala that I saw at Kens home
last fall were some of the prettiest (and he has
over 1500 Hostas). Hope this one continues
to grow healthy and is FERTILE.
Congratulations.
Curtis/m2m
toymr2mk2

Post by toymr2mk2 »

Thanks guys,
John I am really pleased with the seedlings I got from your seeds in case you couldn't tell...:)
sam.....CTG really has given me a variety of different babies from streaked golds and blues to some very nice frosty golds and blues......I may just have to buy a CTG for myself! And i tried many different "poses" before I came up with the right one that showed the streaking and colors for this one. Really tried to do as I have seen many of the folks around here do with their pics.
Curtis.....Did you happen to get some pics of those babies? Would love to see some other CTG babies! I hope it continues to grow well and produce some great babies for me.

Getting ready to move them outside this weekend. Going to gradually expose them to some sun and hopefully end up with them in as much sun as they can tolerate so as to get as much growth out of them as possible. Hope it works! Besides I need to make some room so I can start some more seeds.......Thanks again guys.
Art
New Topic Post Reply