Best way to save pollen?

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

dmi188

Best way to save pollen?

Post by dmi188 »

What is the best way to save pollen? The ones I would like to hybridize never seem to bloom at the same time, and when I tried to save the entire anthers last year, it all turned to mush. Do I set them out to dry? How long? How long is too long?
Thanks!
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

THis is how Gary Truck does it and I've had great luck using his directions

This is how I collect pollen. I pull the anthers early in the morning before they open and bring them inside. I put them on a peace of paper to dry as the paper helps to pull the moister from them. Let them sit til around 5, then lightly scrape the pollen from the anthers. If you are going to use the pollen the next day just let it set in a cool place all night (not the fridge). If you are going to us it over and over again, get some of those little tubes you can put into the freezer. You can store pollen this way and it will stay viable for years. keeping the pollen dry is a major factor to good pod set.
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

Thanks, Jamie!
New Topic Post Reply