Favorite seedling

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

whitewater176

Favorite seedling

Post by whitewater176 »

This would have to be one of our most favorite seedlings from the winter of 04, out of rods streaky mix ,so in a couple years if we decide to register it would that make rod the hybridizer???
Attachments
rods 3.jpg
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Very nice! I'm not sure what criteria is used to determine who is what when you register......maybe Rod would be the originator and you the hybridizer?? I'm sure someone on here who does hybridizing will know for sure. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
John

Post by John »

Unless you and Rod had an agreement to the contrary, all "credit" for the new hosta seedling goes to you, as the person in whose garden it first bloomed, which makes you the Originator.
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I think the credit as hybridizer would apply only when an intentional ccross is made.
If you buy seeds on the seed exchange this fall, and the person offering the seed tells you they are a cross of two specific plants (Mr Leafmould and I have both done this) then the hybridizer can be credited. The originator would be the person who grows it and deems it worthy of registering and/or putting into the market with a name.
Originator can also apply to a person who isolates and introduces a new sport (for which there is no hybridizer, by definition).
mrswhitewater

Post by mrswhitewater »

thanks all for the opinion, guess we will have to wait and see what it does in a couple years, right now it is much better looking than i can seem to capture in a picture
New Topic Post Reply