Winter Sowing

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Winter Sowing

Post by nanny_56 »

Wondering if anyone has tried it with hosta seed? I want to try a few that I am getting from the exchange and could use any advice from personal experience. I have read several forums on WS and articles.

Am planning on using milk jugs to sow in.

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

Do you mean sowing the seed outdoors now so they come up next spring? That's what I think of when I hear winter sowing.

Most people start their seeds indoors and there are a lot more people with a lot more experience at it than me, so hopefully they will chime in with some advice or direct you to some threads with that info :)
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

If you are referring to sowing seed in closed containers, then leaving outside to germinate, I have read that it can be done with hostas(GW). I have not tried it.

In the past, I have started seeds indoors under lights every few weeks from Oct to March. This year, however, DD is getting married in Jan. and I have little time. Maybe a good time for me to try winter sowing as well.
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

Denise, yes that's what I'm referring to. I thought it might be worth it to try a few and see how it goes.

Chris, I was considering trying to put some out and see if the grew but since we are putting house up for sale I plan on taking seeds with me for new gardens!

I have several lily bulbs potted to go too and I would take more if I could. I am very attached to my plants!! :lol:

Claudia
Last edited by nanny_56 on Dec 31, 1969 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

I'm tryin a mix this year.

I've taken all of the seed that I wanted to grow but didn't have time to grow nor cared about parentage and sow'd them in an open are in the garden that wont get planted. Next summer i'm guessin I'll see some seedlings. Don't care either way.

Those that I DO care about will get planted sometime in January. I end up killing my seedlings with too much love and attention so the closer to spring the better.
Mike
Milwaukee
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Claudia!!

I winter sowed last year for the first time and it was a lot of fun.....I am sitting here trying to remember if I did on jug of hosta's.....and I think I did......I know I have read you CAN do them just like the annuals and perennials.....I had to laugh when I read the title of this cause I wanted Patrushka to start a thread on winter sowing in one of the other forums (I am not sure where it should be) but we both WS'd and it's fun.....But most start the hosta's indoors.

Good Luck with your hosta's..... :D
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

Thanks LG! I don't have room inside plus we are putting house up for sale so figure I shouldn't probably have all those sitting around!

But I definitely want to try and add different things each year. I have read were some do tomato plants, just start them later.

Claudia
Claudia
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

I just filled a large bag with seed for trying to WS. Last year I did a few annual and pern. seed, and had good results. This seed is from all op, green or yellows that have cool looking flowers. I got the orig. seed from Kent, I think about 3 years ago. Some may have come from cross's I did with some of LM's pollen he sent me a few years back, this may be where the cool flowers came from. I have lots of room for some plain jane, seedlings to be set out and just let grow on, so I thought I would try to take advantage of the load of seed these seedlings put out.
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

I'm going to do the garden thing too Mike. I eventually would like to line my paths in my woods with hosta..hopefully I get a few seedlings that can do that for me.
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

I noticed this fall especiall that I have probably a 100 or so 'volunteer's that have sprouted over summer..... I'd be happy with a third that rate from my 'sowing'
Mike
Milwaukee
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I planted a milk jug with hosta seed last fall, nothing happened. Heuchera seed did well in a jug tho' so don't know why.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
New Topic Post Reply