They're finally up!!!

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

They're finally up!!!

Post by thehostagourmet »

Planted 0n January 21st, the first seedlings are up this evening. None were up this morning. Even with 2+ feet of snow on the ground from this weekend, it now seems like spring again.

The other half of that tray was planted the next evening. None of those has germinated yet. 15 days! The first up are 'Yellow Splash' and 'Christmas Tree Gala' crosses.

George
pauhaus

Post by pauhaus »

Congrats George, it's exciting waiting to see those green sprouts isn't it? I just planted yesterday (Sunday, Feb.4) seeds I received from Chris and can't wait to see what pops up, it's going to be a long two weeks. Keep us posted. :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Congrats George!

Please post some baby pictures when you have a chance... I haven't started a single seed yet and I am jonesing to see green!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I haven't planted a thing yet, either. My basement is way too cold right now for anything to grow! DH has enough trouble with the lights going 24/7 down there, I think he'd pitch me into a snowbank if I suggested plugging in a heater.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
thehostagourmet

Heat in basement

Linda, over the 35 years I've been sprouting seeds in our basement I've put smaller trays and 6-paks in plastic bags on top of the old, metal fluorescent fixtures with the big wings that I bought when I built the first two wooden gro-light stands. Those still work. I still use them for bottom heat for tomatoes and peppers. The newer electronic ballast fixtures are too small and don't produce enough heat.

The other option to germinate them is the top of the freezer or refrigerator. Both give off lots of heat. I put trays there, but the room is limited. After they germinate the heat from under the fluorescent lights will help.

George
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Oooooh! I planted some of mine Jan 22.....I'll be watching those trays all day, now!
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Congratulations, George!! :P

The only spot I'll ever be able to grow seeds is in my cold cold basement too. I'm thinking that if I ever do try it, I'll have to create an enclosed space with tarps or heavy plastic maybe. And raised off of the cold cement slab floor. And any ideas would be appreciated!! [Keeping in mind that there is NO budget. I'll have to get a couple pairs of thermal socks so I can stand to work down there.]
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:hmm: Seems like I do it the opposite way ... reldon, no comments- please :P
I germinate them here and there a bit high in the kichen. Think they get 22 - 23 C. When most are germinated and some will start to unfurl/show the 2. set of leaves they go to the hall under 24/ 7 light. I t is colder here, depending on the heater/ darn dog = open dor thing, I will think it goes from 10 to 15 C

They grow a bit slover in the cold, but the plant are heavier ?? better/ not that long :lol: You know what I mean :lol:

So just use the basement ... they will be just fine with some light
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Pia - my basement isn't too much warmer than being outdoors in the winter time. :eek: BRRRRRR!!!
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
malaprop

Post by malaprop »

Why don't you try a small test batch? Germinate in the house with a folded paper towel in a tiny covered tray, then with tweezers either put them in another covered tray with sterilized mix near a light bulb in the basement.

Why I say this, is my discovery that hostas seem to prefer to grown the cold. ( I lost some to a too hot seed starting pad) My GUESS is 60-80F germination, and maybe 50-70 growing--repeat, that's my guess! I wanted to grow in the garage, but when your pipes freeze, it's too cold.

What's the temp of your basement?
pauhaus

Post by pauhaus »

malaprop wrote:Why I say this, is my discovery that hostas seem to prefer to grown the cold. ( I lost some to a too hot seed starting pad) My GUESS is 60-80F germination, and maybe 50-70 growing...
Hey there, just my two cents, but I had the same thing happen to me last year with my first batch of seeds, I put them on the warm seed starting pad and they cooked, had hardly any germination. Then I tried a second batch on the lower shelf of my rack in the dark, cold basement (55-60º) and had great results that time. :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hooorray! I, too, can finally say "they're up!" I have germination in two trays... some streaky seeds I got off ebay and my own Abiqua Drinking Gourd. I have looked at the one tray half dozen times today and new ones each time. I had them on the floor at 60 degrees since Jan 21, 22 then moved them to a table at 72 degrees and they have been there about 5 days, I guess. I usually start all my seed (other than hostas) on the floor with good results. But I haven't put lights on them yet. This is soooooo exciting! Thanks y'all for all the pointers.
thehostagourmet

New seedlings

One of the trays planted on 1/27 has its first germination. That's 13 days. I'm glad I caught it this morning to move it under the lights.

George
malaprop

Post by malaprop »

Decided to "test" my garage, which is close to whatever the outside temps are. (maybe high of 45) I put some seeds to germinate in sushi pkg. and two "greenie" culls under a regular light about 18 -inches away. I'll see what I can kill or put into hibernation.
thehostagourmet

Had to turn all thelights on

All six trays have germinated. Even the tray from 1/29 has some germinated. Spring is around the corner!

Oops, there's still 2 feet of snow out there.

George
hostavalley

Post by hostavalley »

do you have pictures George... of the babies????
Jeroen Linneman.
I have a website about Hostas.
http://www.hostavalley.eu
thehostagourmet

Babies

No pictures yet. They're too small yet. But over the next few weeks I'll be boring everyone with them.

George
hostavalley

Post by hostavalley »

Ok george you can start boring me with those hosta pictures.....but it wil take a long time before I get bored from Hostas!!!!
Jeroen Linneman.
I have a website about Hostas.
http://www.hostavalley.eu
New Topic Post Reply