A few WSM seedlings

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

Justaysam

A few WSM seedlings

Post by Justaysam »

These are a few seedlings from seed offered in the WSM seed auction. OP seed from a streaked Blue Angel. You never know what you will get from these seed offerings, it's a crap shoot, I try to get a couple packets of the streaked offerings and see what I get. I got a few others, but this packet had the best yield of streaked babies so far.
Attachments
WSM Sdlngs.JPG
WSM Sdlngs1.JPG
WSM Sdlngs2.JPG
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Oooooooh.....very nice! I hope you keep us updated with photos...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
hostavalley

Post by hostavalley »

That are some very cool seedlings........I love to see them when they a few months older.... :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Jeroen Linneman.
I have a website about Hostas.
http://www.hostavalley.eu
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

fantastic looking!

I am particularly attracted to the round leaved ones and yours look like they will grow up to be stunning!

Good luck and keep us posted

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Nice! The packet that Linda C and I got is still up at her house. I need to get up there soon and get them. We've been meeting at a town halfway between us, and she keeps forgetting to bring them along. That's okay...I don't have my set-up ready yet anyway. This week!!!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Thanks everyone. This is the second sowing of this year, and they are tiny little guys. The first batch are up to 6 -8 leaves, but my seedlings never get huge in the house. I like growing other peoples seeds, you are suprised when you get something nice and worth keeping. Linda, what was the seed you girls got? I still have 2 pkts and can't find them for the life of me! I know I got the same seed you guys got, and I was looking forward to starting them, and now can't find them :x I started all the streaker seed, I also got streaked Sea Lotus leaf and it has quite a few streaked babies in there. A Galaxy and High Beam tray have maybe two streaked babies out of those batches and an f2 DB seed packet is still very slow to germinate and I really don't see any streaking in them. Still fun though, and you can't beat the varieties offered that we could bid on.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

We got Crazy Quilt. Linda C has some started, and said she got some nicely misted ones. She's coming down my way tomorrow and I'll have to remind her to bring the seeds along.
I have a few OP from my own garden that I want to start as well, and also a nice packet of montana Chirifu I got from nmb in the Hallson seed exchange.
My Christmas Tree Gala was loaded with seeds this year. I cleared a spot in the garden and planted some of them, and brought some more in the house.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

That's it, Crazy Quilt! Thanks Linda, I gotta find those seed!
leafmould

Post by leafmould »

Wow, they look like very nice seedlings Linda :cool:
I would be happy to have them :P
Interesting that 'Blue Angel' is a dud for fertile seeds
good work :P
Mr. Leafmould
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

Those are some very nice looking babies. Yes! Please do keep us updated as they grow.
Hapygdnr
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Yes, very pretty!! I love doing the seedlings, but have done a one this year.....:D

:o Leafy?? .. :cool:
buff24

Post by buff24 »

Sorry, I'm having brain freeze here at the moment, but what does WSM stand for? Thanks!!
Buff

We have not inherited the earth from our fathers, we are borrowing it from our children. ~Native American saying
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

It is the Winter Scientific Meeting of the Midwest Regional Hosta Society, held in Chicago each January. They host a day of speakers, a light lunch then more speakers. For the last 2 years they also held seed auctions. Last years was live, this year they did a silient auction with many seed pkg. from some interesting hosta people. I picked up OP Blue Angle Streaked, and OP Sea Lotus Leaf from Hans Hanson, by far the best germination and the most streaked offspring so far! These pics are the BA Strk babies. I also got Galaxy and High Beam seed offered from Ran Lydell, only about 6 streaked babies from those. DB F2 from the Stegmans, taking a long time to come up, but seing a little streaking on them. And I just found the last 3 pkg's that I didn't start that weekend some 'Streaking, Blooms' pkg offered by Randy Goodwin, and Lake Chautaugua, and Cross Stich offer from Peter Ruh. Seems like a lot, along with the 100 or so of my own I had started, but some pkg only had 10-15 seed, and the germination on some were not great. If I stagger them I should be able to keep up and have lots to fill up my back ravine this spring!
Rod told me I didn't need any more seed, and I think he was right!
New Topic Post Reply