need input from anyone growing from seed

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

Justaysam

need input from anyone growing from seed

Post by Justaysam »

I posted a pic awhile ago of a seedling I have that has purple edges.Link viewtopic.php?t=43971&highlight= I know it was very faint, but it is there. My question is has anyone had new leaves, coming up from the center of a seedling that are purple or red? I'm kind of concerned. A good concerned, but still concerned. I have seen purple &/or red leaves on the flower stems, but never on emerging leaves. Now I have three seedlings showing this, and am wondering if maybe they might be starting to rot or something. I know time will tell, but I'm just wondering if others have seen this kind coloring on new growth.
ademink

Post by ademink »

When mine have rotted, it has always been at the crown - the leaves either just fall off or they get brown and curl up.

I've never seen rot look like that! NICE!

I'd love to see an updated pic!
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

Nope, I've never seen it. As large as that seeding is, I'd be surprised if it was starting to rot. I've been growing seedling for 8 years now and I have never had one rot that was that large. 100% of the time, for me, I get rot at the 1 leaf stage when it's just too weak to sustain itself.
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

OK, I am going to rule out rot. Maybe I will pop one of them out, and just check on the roots. Thanks. I will take a pic of them in the morning and post. I am just too tired now. It is showing on 3 different seedlings, but they are similar in form, so maybe it is just the cross. Gee, I wish I were better at the bookeeping of crosses now.
Last edited by Justaysam on May 19, 2007 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ademink

Post by ademink »

Who is the pod parent?

My Hosta List
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

The pod parent would be either a streaked seedling I have or H. Liberty Bell. They are the only steakers, of my own collected seed, that I grew. All the other streaked seedlings I'm growing, came from seed I purchased from auctions, but they are not from those, they were started later and are smaller.
ademink

Post by ademink »

That is so exciting!!!! Looks like you may have hit the motherlode! :bd:

My Hosta List
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

I don't know about motherlode, but I do think they will be interesting to watch. Here are some pics, can't sleep anyway.
Attachments
This is what is coming up from within
This is what is coming up from within
5-7 006.jpg (43.03 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
The first one was that one in the link
The first one was that one in the link
5-7 001.jpg (39.62 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

This is the second one I found, I just don't know what to think.
Attachments
another showing red/purple tinted leaves
another showing red/purple tinted leaves
5-7 002.jpg (30.51 KiB) Viewed 4739 times
This one you can hardly see it, just at the tip
This one you can hardly see it, just at the tip
5-7 003.jpg (17.05 KiB) Viewed 4739 times
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Interesting, Linda - but from what I can see of the plants they look perfectly healthy.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

I want to know how many hosta collectors are standing outside your door this morn waving fistfuls of cash at you and pleading for “just one” of those?

I would really like to see what you would end up with if you cross one of these with Purple Haze...purple on the outside plus purple on the inside might be something people would talk about for the ages!!!

wanda
ademink

Post by ademink »

:lol: @ fistfuls of cash!

Isn't that the truth...?

They look extremely healthy and beautiful. I wouldn't dig them up to check the roots or bother them in any way. Whatever you are doing, keep doing it!

My Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Whoa!!! :cool:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Ok, I was pretty tired last night when I saw them. Since it is so nice outside, the seedlings inside are suffering from neglect a bit. When I first took a look at them, I thought that colored part was mush. It is tiny down there in the center, LOL. I now realize they are not sick, just different :wink: I promise, I will keep a better eye on them, and see they are turned and watered regularly. And I do have 1 or 2 that have crown rot at this stage! I potted some up into a bad mix of stuff, and it is hard as rocks instead of airy. I know, bad hosta mom! I am going to get them out of the house and out to harden off this week.
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Do take good care of those!

Laura
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Seriously, if I had those, I think I would keep them in the house and grow them under lights. You would be able to grow/develop the plants quicker and they would be more secure. You just might have a break through and it would be a shame if they were badly damaged by weather or stolen. If you want some expert opinions, you could post your photos on the hostapix list.
Last edited by Hank Zumach on May 19, 2007 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

I have a whole flat of Sea Octopus seedlings that have red leaves all along the outside of the stems. Your plants are OK, I'd say. Phyllis
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Hank, what if they only grow this way, showing the coloring, under lights? I didn't go to the convention, but wasn't that red leaved plant at the leaf show, only a greenhouse plant, and not able to be grown outdoors? Maybe I will take a few more pics in ourdoor light and post and ask a few questions on hostapix. Really, I just don't know what to do about them.
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

You could put one of them out for a period of time to see if the color changed. Other than bleaching from too much sun and the general effect lighting has on a plant, I'm not aware of sunlight vs. artificial light having an influence on coloring. But, I don't have any particular knowledge on the subject.

I did not attend the convention and have not heard about the plant you mention.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
DryGulch

Sometimes I have seen leaf color variations based on ...

Post by DryGulch »

soil mineral and pH, etc. Fertilize them with Osmocote and see it the color still seems the same.

The same plants sometimes looks different in clay, versus, sand, versus, peat, etc.; maybe your potting mix is missing some trace mineral.
New Topic Post Reply