Before the cull... some advice needed

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

lykaon78

Before the cull... some advice needed

Post by lykaon78 »

In late March I started my very first batch of seedlings. Now many of them are at the four leaf stage and I'm ready for my first cull.

I plan to keep the 'keepers' under 24-7 lights for a little while longer but would like to move the greenies out to a secluded part of my yard that I can't get to with the mower because its across a creek. I'm just tired of weed wacking every week and think green hostas will fill in just fine.

Is there a reasonable way to ensure their survival without a whole lot of effort? Is it possible to transplant directly to soil at this stage?

Thanks for the help. I've been a long-time lurker here and enjoy everyone's advice and wonderful pictures.

-Lykaon

Here are some pictures of my little hobby:
Some Swoosh OP in the background and Francis Williams in the front:
A couple of different unnamed streaker mixes:
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Make a nice bed for them, and pop them out of that container, soil and all right into the new area. Just keep watch on them that they don't dry out, and I bet most will survive. I couldn't cull stuff when I first started grow seed, and that is what I did.
Attachments
3yr old culled seedlings. I just popped them out and into this little bed.
3yr old culled seedlings. I just popped them out and into this little bed.
New Topic Post Reply