Couple of my seedlings

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

largosmom

Couple of my seedlings

Post by largosmom »

This winter, I started some of my first hostas from seed. Last fall, I purchased 'One Man's Treasure' and it gave me a few seeds which gave me a very few seedlings, open pollinated. I have two that seem worth watching though I'm letting all of them grow, just for the practice.

The first seedling is a gold with a little bit of red at the base. It's been a bit snacked upon since moving outside.

Sorry about the photo quality, my camera tends to overexpose the golds and I haven't yet figured out how best to adjust for it.
Attachments
OMT seedling 2 petsmay07 (2).jpg
omt seedling 2may07 (3).jpg
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

The second one was a late starter, but I like the shape.

I need to learn how to do the photobucket thumbnails!

The red goes up quite a ways on this one.

Laura
Attachments
OMT seedling 8 pets may 07.jpg
OMT seedling 8 may07.jpg
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Those are nice! I especially like the second one. :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Yes they are. Lookin good, Laura!! :P
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

Isn't it fun Laura??? I have a few growing that I need to take a good look at.

Debbie
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Thanks, I was so surprised to get such different looking babies from one parent. I'm going to try for better photos today. The red on the second one does go into the base of the leaf, as it does on One Man's Treasure. I miss having a view finder and you know how tough digital can be to see out of doors. I often don't know how good the photo is until I get it into the computer.

It is definitely fun! I have a bunch of little 2-3 leaf seedlings coming on from some seed I got from Chris and so far, don't see anything really interesting. I can see one goldish one, and some from Sea Octopus shaped a bit like this second seedling, and maybe some waviness in those leaves. I'm not ready to cull until they get bigger, however, and I can see what their real shapes will be.

Laura
New Topic Post Reply