Hosta Genetics Primer...?

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

ademink

Hosta Genetics Primer...?

Post by ademink »

A comment in another thread got me wondering...

Is there some kind of "primer" that gives you the hosta breeding/genetics basics?

i.e. - Which traits are passed on maternally or paternally - such as shape, color, etc, etc.

Maybe nothing is set in stone...? I don't know, just asking.

I hope this question even makes sense! :lol:
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

It's such a good question that someone asked it two weeks ago :) http://www.perennialnursery.com/forums/ ... hp?t=44554
ademink

Post by ademink »

Weeeeell, whuddyaknow? :lol:

Thanks Tigger!

My Hosta List
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Genetics

Post by thehostagourmet »

There is a more textbook-oriented presentation at the Hosta Library. Look for Genetics right next to Hybridizing on the home page.

George
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

DBoweMD suggested i look on this forum for posts from Leafmould. I found quite a few posts from people doing hybridizing. At the Hosta Library under hybridizing there is a link at the very top above the diagram of the flower "different traits" (I think) and there are some ideas from people like Mary Chastain and Kent Terpening. The only definitive thing I have been able to determine is that the pod parent has the greatest impact on color. If you want variegated seedlings you must use a streaked pod parent.

I also got from the library Paul Aden's book. A little info there as well as in Diana Grenfell's book. I have not found very much. If you find something else, please let me know, too! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
ademink

Post by ademink »

Thanks everyone! I'll look into all of this! :D

My Hosta List
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

As you can see, no one has yet identified a particular gene or gene(s) for particular characteristics. They can recommend particular plants which are likely to pass on a selected characteristic to the seelings (white back, ruffled edge), but they are doing by eye and experience rather than by knowing hosta "A" contains a gene for highly ruffled edges, while hosta "B" is dominant for dark purple flowers. This is why I said that it is more an Art than a Science at this point. That is not a bad thing, as they are producing lovely lovely plants, but it makes it harder for those of us who might have been hoping for a more "scientific" explanation along the lines of mendelian genetics as applied to hostas. (the lesson on the hosta library is generic to all plants).

Also, it seems that some hybridizers just let mother nature (bees) do the crossing work for them (Mary Chastain), and just select the best seedlings from the results. Others such as Kent Terpening, have an idea of what they want and cross particular parents to get to that ideal of shape/color/height, or whatever. Both are equally doable.

Laura
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Bees

Post by thehostagourmet »

Laura, it's Mildred Seaver that let the bees do the work for her. Mary Chastain planned most of her crosses.

George
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Thanks George, I should have gone back and checked that article I read, but couldn't remember where I read it (Hosta Journal?). I remember it came up when I started looking up genetics references myself.

Laura :oops:
New Topic Post Reply