Don Q

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

Seedseller1

Don Q

Post by Seedseller1 »

I've had this one for several years, in fact I've got a couple. One of them is sending a scape again but I've never gotten a seed pod from it. Can anybody tell me what to cross it with or has anybody had any luck using it as a pod parent? It seems to be a very stable streaker here, but I've never gotten a pod from it. Help me please!!!! (or can anybody tell me of any offspring/crosses that it has made?)
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Cripes Mike I am no help. Mine has never been intentially pollinated, and has never set any seed. Ever. Love how shiny the leaves are, anyway. :P
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

I'm in the same boat as Roxanne. Let us know if you find something that works.. I think Nelly Grey may be a hybrid.
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I have the white edged version Don Stevens, and it has never set seed O.P., so I have not even looked for Don Q. I'm curious if anyone has had luck also
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Mine has never flowered :lol:
MrHeinz77

Post by MrHeinz77 »

Josh and I got a few OP pods last year but nothing germinated. We did have germination problems though. :( Somebody recommended putting a little bone meal in the soil less seed starter. The pots without the bone meal germinated better. I won't be doing that again.
Jim
MrHeinz77's Hosta List

Zone 4

-91.84521 42.35827
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I had trouble with germination in many of trays, and I also used some bone meal in some, first time this year. Unfortunately I don't know which ones. I liked it when potting up the seedlings in past years.
druff

Post by druff »

i can't vouch for its authenticity. but i have a tc streaked don stevens. and it is incredibly fertile.

doug
pepper1
USDA Zone: 5

Post by pepper1 »

I have tried for several years to produce seed on DQ, and have not had a single pod set from crosses or o.p. I remember when I bought mine from Greg Johnson he said that it was a tough one to get crosses to take on, but that it was worth trying as it could produce some interesting progeny.

I posted something on the Garden Web hosta forum 2 or 3 years ago regarding seed set on DQ and it seemed like there were folks (mostly in the eastern U.S. it seemed) who had good luck with DQ as a parent, while many in the midwest had poor luck.

Gary
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Post by addieotto »

I am patiently waiting for mine to flower. It's new for me this year.

Lucky me if I picked a dud for doing the hybridizing thang. :roll: Either way, as long as it flowers, I'll give it a shot. I'm on the east coast so maybe I gotta shot.

Sue
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

I've had pods set on it, but I beleive they were white and the seed never germinated :cry:
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Don Q

Post by thehostagourmet »

The only useful Don Q is the rum!

My Don Q Hosta never set seed, so I traded it away several years ago. Some people just like streakers.

George
George
New Topic Post Reply