Growing hosta from seed

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

Quiet Storm

Growing hosta from seed

Post by Quiet Storm »

I have never grown hosta from seed before, and would like to give it a try, but have no clue how to go about it. Several of my hostas have produced seed pods this year. When and how do I harvest the seed? Do the seeds need to be started indoors? If I just leave the pods on the plants, what are the chances of them self-seeding? Hope I don't sound as clueless as I feel. Thanks for any tips.
Gloria

I will breathe after my own fashion...
Henry David Thoreau, Civil Disobedience

My Hosta List
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Hello Gloria. I'm fairly new to hosta seeds myself but I did sprout and grow some seeds last year. There is some good information at http://www.hostalibrary.org/hyb/index.html . You sort of have to read through it to find the parts you want since it's directed at people who want to hybridize.
I know that some people get volunteers that have self seeded but I don't know if that works as well as planting them yourself.

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

If you sow them in October, under lights, you'll have pretty nice sized seedling plants by planting-out time in May. (About the size of a one year old nursery plant.) Sowing outside, in the ground, takes a lot longer -- probably it'll be the third year before you'd have a plant the size of your October-May seedling. There is a site with detailed directions for growing from seed, but I don't know where it is. Maybe someone else remembers how to find it. Phyllis
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Check out Westside Hosta FAQ, Hostas from Seed, Part 1 and Part 2. The instructions on Page 2 are from our own GrannyNanny. :D

http://hostafaq.westside.com/wsContentP ... w?RowId=47
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

Read the FAQ post and it was very detailed! One question: Do you need the special grow-bulbs or is an ordinary light from a lamp enough? I'm thinking of just trying a six-pack of seeds the first time to see how it goes.
ademink

Post by ademink »

I used shop lights w/ a 40W flourescent bulb, I think.
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

ademink wrote:I used shop lights w/ a 40W flourescent bulb, I think.
Ditto for me...it works the best I have found.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Quiet Storm

Post by Quiet Storm »

Thanks everyone, for your tips. I will give it a shot this winter. My Komodo Dragon, Great Expectations, Gold Drop, Gold Edger, and Frances Williams all have pods this year.
Gloria

I will breathe after my own fashion...
Henry David Thoreau, Civil Disobedience

My Hosta List
hostarod

Post by hostarod »

Gloria,
growing hosta seed is an enjoyable hobby for the winter months.
If you are looking for more information you can checkout my website to see a few methods and ideas from hybridizers.

good luck and happy growing, hostarod
GibbsCorner
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by GibbsCorner »

I've grown hostas from seed for two years now, thanks to all the advice here, and it really is a nice diversion in Winter. It's fun to see what comes up! :D

If you try just a six-pack, one thing to remember is that you won't usually get 100% germination - not every seed will sprout. So if you just do six, you might want to double up and put a couple of seeds in each cell. That way you'll have a better chance of getting six.

Matt
toymr2mk2

Post by toymr2mk2 »

I agree that it is great to grow seedlings in the winter. Gives me a bit of springtime inside when it is too cold to go outside. Plus it is a blast to watch them grow. Another good thing is that by starting them inside under lights you can more or less force them to grow faster. Get a years growth in just a couple of months!
Art
New Topic Post Reply