Culling 101

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

wzbt03

Culling 101

Post by wzbt03 »

Beginners course in how to cull hosta seedlings in the early spring.

I started by throwing a ton of the greenies in the trash barrel and then looked at a bunch of container that were sitting around that hold annuals every year.
So I randomly dug them out of the trash and planted them just to see how it worked out.

Results, I sort of like how it went and I did not have to buy any annuals for all the pots.

I think I ended up with about 5 or 6 pots full.
Attachments
Culling 101.jpg
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

That looks like a great idea. And it provides a second chance in case the culled ones want to do something exceptional! (I'm just guessing that they might have time to throw out a sport or distinguish themselves in some way; let me know if this is not possible.)
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

Never culled a hosta seedling, I give them to the local nursery.
Never thought of using them as annuals, I like it.
wzbt03

Nursery

Post by wzbt03 »

Good idea on the local nursery.

I usually try and get the neighbors to take all the hostas they want. They tend to hide now when they see me coming (just joking as all my neighbors grow some of my plants and love getting them)
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I have a pot of June OP seedlings like this, has a couple yellows, greens and a blue, keeps coming back. The yellow ones are not competing well, should separate them out. They actually look pretty good this year, just now in flower.
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

I think I'm going to do a bit like you are doing. I have several small seedlings that need repotting soon. They are not very special this year, but you never know until they flower, right?

I also have some to share with friends.

Laura
John

Post by John »

Interesting idea. The thought has occurred to me, that some of us cull early on, perhaps all the 'green' ones... But then I think about the numbers of named hostas that really don't look like much until they've been grown for a few years and established clumps that show what they are capable of doing. Think of some of the great greens, even those that pass that 10 feet rule... what did they look like as tiny seedlings?
Roxanne

seedlings

Post by Roxanne »

I pitch them and never look back! :lol:
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

I'm with Roxanne on this.. It better strut it's stuff while young or it's out of here. With limited space I don't have to room to grow plain janes..
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

:lol: Jamie. Here I thought I was the only cruel one out there. I have grown seedlings for a while, and have kept maybe 10, total. A few of those need new homes as well!
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

I did the same thing this year...I added an impatient or something else I had too many of to the pot...looks great!!!

Stephanie
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

:???: What's with these references to 'plain jane' today? This is the second time I've read it! :roll:

Sounds like you people to meet a 'Jane' to know what great and exciting and just wonderfully fun people we are! :lol:

You know though! I have a north side window I've wanted to do a window box in. I wonder since others have found hosta that wintered on top of their refuse or compost piles.

Why wouldn't they last in the window box all summer, then cover them in leaves, unbury, put back up, and just add colorful annuals next spring?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

I want to know what the nursery does with them -- sell them for landscape hostas? I was told by some of my garden friends that I shouldn't sell unnamed seedlings at the spring sale -- that only named ones should be allowed. I sold them anyway! Phyllis
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Anyone experiment with them as houseplants?
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Willowy

Post by Willowy »

This culling thing is a dilema. Before I attempted hybridizing last year, I just got rid of everything. Easy!

Now I have a better appreciation for what might be...

I still believe you have to cull, however my "supposed" rejects made it all the way to the compost pile...and there they sit next to it. Already (as they have grown a little) I have moved some out to their own planting spots because I think I see some potential.

If you're anything like me, do you stare at your seedlings for hours looking for a little something -- anything unique -- to save their little leaves?
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
allnitro

Post by allnitro »

I wish I got payed for the time spent staring at the little ones, hoping for a glimps of something unique to start showing. :-? What a fun hobby.
JEFF
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

The nursery I give them to gives them away with purchases. My circiumstance here is different than most of yours. Hosta are not readily available so I do it in hopes others will see they grow here easily if the right conditions are given. I hear it all the time you can't grow hostas here so it's a way to show people and nurseries otherwise. The nursery I give them to has had some success with them so they are starting to carry more varieties. As far as selling no named seedlings why not, your not telling them they can't register them if they do turn out to be something special, beside there yours who to say you can't do what you want with them.
allnitro

Post by allnitro »

Very true scootersbear, as long as they do understand that they are an unamed seedling and that it won't grow true to the parent plant.. that is a great way to get people started.

I find that when I give them away most are so wrapped up with names that they don't seem to pay attention to the fact that it is a nice looking plant even without a name.

So long live the culls!
JEFF
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Yes, I have stared at my seedlings...with a magnifier no less!

Laura
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Culling

Post by Marlys »

I admit, I get emotionally involved with my sdlgs.
I think we all do with our first-born babies.
We learn as they grow - we can't keep 'em all. :eek:

So...I adopt them out to good homes. :P

I give them away to garden guests. :D

I donate them to the Ways & Means auction @ my local garden club.
Each month any member can bring plants to sell to other members @ informal auction at the end of each mtg.
The money goes to support our club projects.

I grow them in pots just for fun! :lol:

I give them to special garden friends. :wink:

I have donated to plant sales too.

I enjoy teaching others about hostas and gardening.
It's like planting a seed & watching it grow.

Fun! :o

Hosta is a good thing!

MM
New Topic Post Reply