What crosses are you planning to grow?

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

eastwood2007

What crosses are you planning to grow?

Post by eastwood2007 »

I have Korean Snow x Blue Angel, Sum & Substance, Marrakech, Stiletto, Inniswood, selfed.

I have purchased some seeds off ebay and some other terrific people have shared some with me (thank you). It is going to be a great winter! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

So far, all of mine are open pollinated. I think the first ones I'll be starting will be Northern Mystery, Foxy Doxy, Galaxy, Lakeside Mom. I know I have some other cool stuff I can't remember at the moment, even though I was just cleaning it 2 days ago. :oops:
I haven't tried any pollinating yet, though I suppose that I will one of these years.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

One day.. I have to figure out the polination thing..so far it have up to the bees...and bying great seeds here at the seed foum :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

Which crosses will I grow this year? ...well, all of them of course. :-?

:lol:
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

HostaDesigner wrote:Which crosses will I grow this year? ...well, all of them of course. :-?

:lol:
Oh, come on HD. Aren't you going to share some of what you are designing this year? ;)
Rob
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by Rob »

I don't know about the pod plants yet (probably all the ones that really stand out for me), but I'm limiting myself to H. pycnophylla en H. hypoleuca (including all of the named morphs of them I own) as pollen parents this year.
I just love those white backs (and fronts).

Just to keep my "administration" simple, and because I don't have any pollen of the late flowering cultivars stored.
Visit my garden on www.hostamill.be/ENG
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hi, Rob -

I just ordered h. hypoleuca this morning! I, too, am planning to use it alot this upcoming year!
Charla
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hello Charla,

In order to prepare my hybrizing scheme, I've been studying the "Species Update" by W.G. Schmid on the Hosta Library the past few weeks. This really is a must for every hosta breeder to be.
I've learned there are a number of cultivars that are not really crosses, but a selfed species.
There are a number of cultivars, originating from H. hypoleuca selfed, good to use in hybrizing.
I will not only use H. hypoleuca, but also H. 'Maekawa', the only other H. hypoleuca form I own.

If you happen to own H. 'Butternut Hill' or H. 'Thor', these are H. hypoleuca forms as well.

And the same goes for other species.

Greetings from the Hosta Mill,

Rob
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hi, Rob -

I don't own Butternut Hill or Thor, but I did acquire 'Nutty Professor' late last year. I thought with that one, it would take care of me on the Maekawa genes. Is that correct? Or do I need Maekawa, too?
Charla
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hello Charla,

Nutty Professor should just do fine
New Topic Post Reply