What to do If I start Seedlings Next Year

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

Izzy

What to do If I start Seedlings Next Year

Post by Izzy »

Every Year I go through the Feb. Blues, I need the greens!

I've determined that next Fall I'm going to try seedlings!

The Top Hosta that I want to try with, is the one that has never let me down; Pandora's Box! (OF course I will try some of the stripped ones that come off others, just to see what I get) She grows like a weed and spreads like crazy! She was also my very first Hosta, When I bought it I thought it was an indoor plant, :eek: and kept it in my window sill where I do the dishes! (Now I grow Cats Tounge in the window instead) She was and still is Beautiful. She was the root of my Hosta Addiction 5 years ago! (Once I figured out what a Hosta was) :lol:

My Question is; What seed pods do I take from her to get Pandoras Box? All the information that I've read, doesn't directly answer this Question. Or can I truely get a Pandora's Box from a seed?
Thanks for your input!
Elizabeth
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

Hostas do not come true from seed, so no...you can not grow more Pandora's Box from seed. Actually, I don't recall ever seeing seed pods on PB...it may be sterile.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hi, Elizabeth -

If you want to try growing some hosta seeds, you could start now, if you want. I have a few odds and ends left over...I would be pleased to mail them to you if you want to try. They are very easy. You could practice with a few this year, so you'll be ready for the big time next fall. :D

Besides that, there is nothing better I have found to chase away those February blues!

Just pm me, if you would like these seeds....
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

I'm Possitive I've seen seed pods come from her. I have been known to be wrong! :oops:

I am hoping that I'm not! But If I am, is there another way, to get her to grow faster inside?
I've got my lights. My Husbands work, changed all the light fixtures, from 4 - 40 Watt floresent Fixtures, to some other kind of lighting! Free is always good! So I took 9 of these fixtures. I've seen some of the grow set ups throughout the forum, and it doesn't look too complicated.
I will keep doing the research on Pandora's Box.
If any one does know something about her, please let me know.
Thank you
Elizabeth
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Elizabeth,

I don't remember Pandora's Box setting any seed either, and if you do get seed from it, chances are the seedlings would be white and wouldn't survive. Like Josh mentioned, hostas don't come true from seed. They can vary from the parent in shape and size but the color tends to match the center color of the pod parent. In the case of Pandora's Box the center is white, so most of the seedlings would be white, but some might be a little streaky because of the jets of green that often go to the center.

Now, you mention that your Pandora's Box grows like a weed and spreads like crazy, so I wonder if this plant was labeled correctly. Pandora's Box is a miniature, white centered plant that tends to stay tiny and doesn't usually multiply in a way that I would call "crazy".

You can find pictures of Pandora's Box at the hosta library to see if that's what you have, but even if that's not the right name I'm sure you will still enjoy the plant as much ;)

Pandora's Box

Hostas are fun to grow from seed in the winter, though, and when you are ready I'm sure a lot of people will be able to help you get started. Maybe you could still watch hostas grow in that spot over the kitchen sink :D
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

It is definately Pandora's Box. It is a mini, And in reference to it growing like crazy, I mean; I can pull divisions from her and it grows back rapidly, and the divsions from her grow rapidly also. I'll be watching this year to see what comes from her, and I'll keep you updated.

Sorry for not being able to respond sooner, Our internet has been down for almost a week now, and it's up and running again.
waldo
USDA Zone: 6a

Re: What to do If I start Seedlings Next Year

Post by waldo »

I just need to add my "two cents". I have grown this hosta for at least twenty years and tried planned hand pollinating and open pollination with no success occasionally pods would form and I collected them. They would be filled with white flat nonviable seeds most of the time, sometimes they are brown or brown and white but still nonviable. This year has been the wettest year on record for our area and my Pandora's Box bloomed a second time (it is noted for this) in September, well I pollinated with pollen from Dostoyevsky selfed (seed obtained from Ed McHugh) and to my surprise seed pods formed and I have just cleaned what appears to be plump black viable?? seeds. I'll know in about six weeks. I read somewhere years ago that very few hosta are truly sterile, they just need the correct conditions to set seed and I have learned that is true. Case in point Krossa Regal is listed as sterile on Don Rawson's hosta list http://www.hostalists.org/hosta_list_sterh.php and I have had it for so long I can't remember when I got it and it has never set seed. But I was able to buy seed of Krossa Regal from Maine Hostas and a grower near Buffalo NY. and the Hosta Library lists two seedlings of KR. http://myhostas.be/db/view/Krossa+Regal Anything is worth a shot in my book. I still need to find out if these seeds will germinate and grow. Will keep you posted.
Attachments
White flat nonviable seeds on the left and brown and white but still nonviable on the right.
White flat nonviable seeds on the left and brown and white but still nonviable on the right.
Collage_Fotor.jpg (15.88 KiB) Viewed 6461 times
Note the plump seed "bumps" indicated by the arrow.
Note the plump seed "bumps" indicated by the arrow.
Sat Oct 13 12-09-51_Arrow.jpg (23.5 KiB) Viewed 6461 times
druff

Post by druff »

sometimes it takes the right maturity and the right weather year. i have a krossa regal seedling and it is fertile. I also have a fertile lancifolia seedling. I've grown op f2 of them but haven't done much crossing with them either. maybe they are worthwhile breeders, ....but the jury is out. .................it may need even more luck to get back to the mothers characteristics + fertility

I am more excited about the fertile fragrant seedings i'm getting. ............thats definitely a line to work with.

here is the krossa seedling. I may offer seed from it in the next HSG auction.
Attachments
krossa-regal-f1.jpg
waldo

Post by waldo »

Well, I have germination on this cross (Pandora's Box X Dostoyevsky selfed). :D The pictures are just showing first stages of roots emerging from the seeds.
Attachments
Roots emerging from seed pods, you can actually see tiny root hairs in the photo on the left.
Roots emerging from seed pods, you can actually see tiny root hairs in the photo on the left.
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

Nice photos.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
waldo

Post by waldo »

I just wanted to follow up with the "rest of the story" on the Pandora's Box seedlings, this hosta is described as "a sport of 'Baby Bunting', white centers are dramatically set off against dark green edges". The center of the leaf is where the L2 layer of the leaf is located and the L2 is a single cell layer below the epidermis that to my understanding (limited as it may be) with few exceptions gives rise to all egg cells and pollen, the gametes, following the transition from vegetative to floral meristem. Understanding that helps to understand the "rest of the story", the seedlings all did what I call "crash and burn" simply put do to lack of chlorophyll they can't manufacture food, so they die. This is common in yellow leaved hostas when a seedling gets two genes for yellow leaves and is often referred to as the lethal gene. I have included pictures.
Attachments
Picture on the left is germination Nov. 1, picture on the right is beginning of Crash and Burn Nov.21
Picture on the left is germination Nov. 1, picture on the right is beginning of Crash and Burn Nov.21
More crash and Burn
More crash and Burn
New Topic Post Reply