Anybody getting anxious yet?

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

Seedseller1

Anybody getting anxious yet?

Post by Seedseller1 »

Personally I haven't collected any seed yet. I see Jeff just listed some seed on the Hosta Library Auction. I still want to attempt a few crosses if my schedule will allow it, and it seems as if the bees are more active now than they have been all summer. I have a red-legged seedling from a couple years ago that I think has some merit and it's just starting to bloom, so if I'm successful and the sugar water works, I"m still probably two months from viable seed. My Christmas Tree Gala has a ton of pods on it, and depending on seeds/pod I may have more than I want to grow (hopefully I'll have some to donate to Chris and Brian) I made some (what I thought would be interesting crosses) and am trying to get a feel for the interest in them and what others may have to offer. At this point in time I'm in relatively good shape with the few streaky breeders that I have but noticed today that the deer have decided to make lunch outta a few scapes and leaves of some of my streaky breeders. Just trying to get a feel for what we can expect on the seed exchange/auction here at Hallson's this year.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Anybody getting anxious yet?

Post by Chris_W »

Seed set has been hit and miss here due to the extended drought, but I have a few that are looking good. Celestial Lightning (streaked Celestial) has set some good seed this year, and Don Quixote has some pods again, though if they are like last season there won't be many viable seed inside.

I didn't do any crosses this year on hostas. I crossed some lilies but now am keeping my fingers crossed on those ;)

I will offer what I can on the seed exchange, probably in a few more weeks :D
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Hey Mike
I am getting anxious to get those hosta seeds started, but will wait until December.

Will also have some seeds to donate.

Collected lots of seed pods today, as the deer and cut worms are munching on them.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

waiting for some great seeds ..... wanna bye this year , again...need my green fix :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply