Harvesting Hosta Seeds and Growing Them

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

GrannyNanny

Harvesting Hosta Seeds and Growing Them

Post by GrannyNanny »

Re: Steg's question on harvesting seeds. Wait until the top seed pod on the stem has black/dk brown seeds in it -- then you'll know that the pods on the entire stem are ripe. The outside does not have to be dried out -- it can still be green, or burgundy or even white and green striped, as are some pods on streakers. Split open the pod, and remove the seeds -- I use a very sharp pointed pencil to run down the length of each section of pod, from top to bottom, to get the seeds out. Do this over a bowl, because those seeds can scatter! After getting them out of the pods, leave them in a shallow paper plate or bowl for a couple of days, until they are dry and don't stick together. (Stir them around a couple of times a day to make sure they all get dry.) Then store in the fridge in a paper envelope, labeled with the name of the pod parent and placed inside a moisture-proof plastic ziplock bag, until you are ready to sow them. If you're keeping them over for the following year, it's best to put the whole thing into the freezer. Hosta seeds will still germinate after even a number of years in the freezer.
When you sow, sprinkle them over the top of moist seed-starting medium, and cover with a little of the same stuff. They don't need light to germinate, as some other seeds do, so they don't have to be under lights until they begin germinating (2-4 weeks, usually). I put mine under lights right away, just because it's the only place that's reliably warm -- about 70 degrees --which is required for good germination. Phyllis
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Harvesting Hosta Seeds and Growing Them

Post by steg »

Thanks Phyllis! :D :D

Mike
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
sis20001
USDA Zone: 5

Post by sis20001 »

Hi Phyllis, Thanks for the great information. Simple and direct. I am just finding out about seeds. Last year it never even occured to me Hostas could set seed. Never thought about it. This year I accidently found some seedlings. So small. I couldn't resist encouraging them. I can never let anything die that has even the slightest chance of living.

My question to you is, can you cut the scapes and still have success with the seed? I cut the scapes and stick them in the soil next to the plant and they mature sooner. The seeds are black and look ok but are they still viable?

Should I leave them on the ground and let nature do her handy work or bring them inside so I can screw them up myself. This is all new to me but I'm kind of excited about the venture. Who knows what's next! I'll show you a photo of a few.

Thanks for being there, sis
Attachments
A few of my little guys.
A few of my little guys.
09 SEPT hostas more of the same DUPLICATES sept 26 etc 341 compressed.jpg (109.9 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

I've never heard of sticking the cut stems in the dirt and having the seeds ripen. If it works, let us all know! I just wait until the seeds are black -- the pods don't have to be dry -- and then cut them down and take the seeds out of the pods so they can dry out on a paper plate. If they are left in a cup the bottom ones may get mouldy: best to dry them right away. You have a couple of seedlings there that look promising, with variegated edges. Grow them on and see what they do.
If you just leave the seeds in the ground, it will take two or three years for the seedlings to grow to any size at all. If you grow them under lights (kept on 24/7) through the winter, they will look like two-year seedlings by the time you plant them out into the garden. Let us know how you do with your seedlings. Phyllis
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I'd also be interested if it works putting them in dirt.

I've had to mature of few of my late bloomers in sugar water and it works best if I cut them BEFORE the first frost.

I make paper envelopes from advertising flyers and store the pods and later just the seeds in them, on a tray, on top of my fridge. There's warmth and it's quite dry. I've found that if I leave the pods in or on an open dish when drying that the seeds sometimes fly around when the pods open.

I have lots of OP seeds this year but need to go back, now that they've had time to dry, and see just how many of them actually have viable seeds in them.

Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
New Topic Post Reply