Seeds from a streaked plant that has stabilized?

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Seeds from a streaked plant that has stabilized?

Post by ViolaAnn »

Hi folks,

I have a 'Bell Ringer' - stabilized form of 'Liberty Bell'. It WAS, in fact, bought as a 'Liberty Bell', but stabilized immediately. Does anyone know whether seeds from such a plant might be more likely to produce interesting seedlings? I've got masses of seed.

Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Re: Seeds from a streaked plant that has stabilized?

Post by R. Rock »

Hi Ann,
My experience would tell me, you actually have less of a chance for the "out of ordinary". The plant stabalized quickly because it is determined to do just that. The seeds would mostly be the greenies. Green wouldn't be all bad if the pollen came from a plant w/ great architecture or rippled-wavy edges. That would also depend on the Liberty Bells willingness to change in shape and size.

I believe Don D. had used H. 'Liberty Bell' in one of his registered crosses. Seems to me the leaves were simple and the plant was on the small-medium size. Everyone can always make room for a small plant in limited space. However, big, bold and large is impressive and always "trumps" the small.

Now, if a plant would have a tendancy to stay more streaked, that would be the one to collect and grow the seeds from.

Good Luck

p.s. Where is that streaked Pewterware???
Be part of the solution
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

That streaked Pewterware gave me some seeds this year. I'm looking forward to trying them. And my friend who gave me the division of it also has some seeds. :) This is what it looked like July 8. I didn't include it in my daily hostas because it's not a regularly available hosta.
Streaked Pewterware - July 8
Streaked Pewterware - July 8
Ann
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by R. Rock »

Ann,

I hope you realize how fortunate you are to have that streaked Pewterware. I have just a few pods on my Pewterwares from crosses; first year for pods. I am not sure they will develope fully. Pewterware is really late here, fussy and when it is done blooming the whole plant seems to go dormant immediately.

I forgot to add how nicely streaked the plant is staying for you. Very nice growth also! :wink:
Be part of the solution
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Thanks. I've been quite lucky, I think. The friend who gave it to me thinks it's doing better than what she kept (or was as she still had hers in a pot earlier in the season).
Ann
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Ann, that streaked Pewterware is a real prize! I hope you get some viable seeds from it.
Thanks for sharing the pic with us!

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Ann -- I sowed some seeds from H. Summer Joy, which looks a lot like Thunderbolt -- center white variegation but not streaked -- and I now have a few seedlings that ARE streaked! I just did it as an experiment, and was surprised to find the streakies in the pot. I also have a registered hosta, "Prairie Lightning", that came from Prairie Glow, which is a golden hosta with NO streaking! Go figure! Phyllis
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

I guess it's worth a try. Now all I need is an acreage. :lol:
Ann
nmb

Post by nmb »

have you tried to recover the streaked liberty bell?? many streaked plants that have become stable can be recovered by splitting them.

mary
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Can't really start a daily thread for this one, but it is still doing well and blooming as I type in mid-September.
'Pewterware' - streaked, July 3, 2012
'Pewterware' - streaked, July 3, 2012
leaf, July 14, 2012
leaf, July 14, 2012
another leaf June 19, 2012
another leaf June 19, 2012
Ann
New Topic Post Reply