Seeds available

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Seeds available

Post by ViolaAnn »

I've only just had a chance to go through my hosta seeds. I've planted some of each variety, but I've limited myself to 12-16 of each which leaves me with lots of seeds left over. All are open pollinated and most are not really special. However, I'd be happy to send some to people if they wish, however, since postage is getting expensive, I'll give priority to Canadian requests. I'll package them 15-20 seeds per packet.

What I have available is:
Aristocrat - 3 packets
Bell Ringer (stabilized form of Liberty Bell) - 6-8 packets
Blue Ivory - 1 packet
Cherry Berry - 2 packets (usually produces fatal white seedlings)
Christmas Pageant - 2 packets
Cranberry Relish 1 packets or 2 skimpy packets
Fire Island - 30 packets
Frosted Dimples - 3-4 packets
Gemini Moon - 3 packets
Halcyon - 5-6 packets
Harpoon - 2 packets
June - 5-6 packets
Korean Snow - 4-5 packets
Lemon Frost - 1 packet
Liberty - 5-6 packets
Loyalist - 1 packet
Paradise Island - 1 packet
Rainforest Sunrise - 1 packet
Remember Me - 4-5 packets
Salute - 2-3 packets
September Sun - up to 10 packets
Summer Breeze - 4-5 packets
Touch of Class - estimated 20 packets (I quit counting seeds at 200 and estimate at least another 200)
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
jerryshenk
USDA Zone: 6a

Re: Seeds available

Post by jerryshenk »

I'd kindof like to give that a shot. I'm not from Canada so I'd gladly pay the postage. That seems pretty cheap for a couple hosta plants;)

The Blue Ivory catches my eye, we don't have anything close to that. I one person can get two packets, Touch of Class would be nice too;)

I have no idea what to do with them. It looks like they can just go in the ground sometimes....is putting them in one of those individual cell planters the recommended way to start them? I suppose I can find some details about what to do with them.
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Jerry,

I usually start them in cut-off styrofoam cups with holes punched in the bottom for drainage and I've started 4 seeds to a cup. When they gt larger I'll transplant them. Of course, a lot has to do with how much space you have.

I just want to make one thing really clear - hosta seeds will almost always produce solid green/blue/yellow plants without variegation and they MAY bear little resemblance to the parent. However, you can get things like red petioles, rippled leaves and other characteristics and I have one seedling that is a reverse variegation to the mother plant. It's just that nothing is guaranteed and most will be garden variety plain-Jane green.

If you still want some, please message me with your address.
Ann
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Update Sunday, April 8

What I have available is:
Aristocrat - 3 packets
Bell Ringer (stabilized form of Liberty Bell) - 6-8 packets
Blue Ivory - GONE
Cherry Berry - 1 packet (usually produces fatal white seedlings)
Christmas Pageant - 2 packets
Cranberry Relish - 1 packet
Fire Island - GONE
Frosted Dimples - 3-4 packets
Gemini Moon - 1 packet
Halcyon - 5-6 packets
Harpoon - GONE
June - 4 packets
Korean Snow - 4 packets
Lemon Frost - GONE
Liberty - 3 packets
Loyalist - GONE
Paradise Island - 1 packet
Rainforest Sunrise - GONE
Remember Me - 4 packets
Salute - 1 packet
September Sun - up to 8 packets
Summer Breeze - 4-5 packets
Touch of Class - estimated 16 packets
Ann
casagrande
USDA Zone: 7

Post by casagrande »

hello. I am brand new to this group and so happy that people are sharing seeds. I am in the usa, north carolina, and I would be happy to pay for seeds. please let me know. I am trying the paper towel method of germinating. It has been about 8 days and a couple of them look like they are giving out a root.........I am so excited to do this. If anyone else has done this method of germinating, I would love any and all tips. and if anyone else is willing to share, sell or swap seeds, please email me. sandy in usa, north carolina
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Hi,

I should say that I got rid of the seeds from this year awhile ago.

I HAVE tried the paper towel method of germinating and I don't like it, because I think it's too easy to damage the tiny roots when removing them from the towel.
Ann
New Topic Post Reply