New seedlings - no idea what I'm doing;)

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

jerryshenk
USDA Zone: 6a

New seedlings - no idea what I'm doing;)

Post by jerryshenk »

Well, 12 days ago I planted a bunch of seeds from Viola Ann. I think they've come up...or some weeds. I planted the seeds in sections for each type. In retrospect, I should have planted them a seed at a time in distinct rows. I think that would have helped me know what is hosta and what is weeds..maybe they are all hosta but, some of the leaf pairs look quite different from others. As time goes on, I guess I'll be able to identify and remove any weeds.

Hosta "seedbed"
DSC_20120702_173644 by jerryshenk, on Flickr

In the lower right corner of the "Liberty section", there some some seedlings that are mostly round and some that are more spear shaped - I really don't know if they are all even hosta or not...I guess time will tell.
Section 3 - Liberty
DSC_20120714_103840_Section3 by jerryshenk, on Flickr
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: New seedlings - no idea what I'm doing;)

Post by ViolaAnn »

Glad you got them safely and got them planted. In future, I think you might have better success starting them in seed trays or cells. It's a bit hard from your pics to see just what you do have, but bear in mind that the seedlings may not even slightly resemble their parents.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
jerryshenk

Post by jerryshenk »

They've grown more in the last couple days...in a week, they might be recognizable. I really think that most of them are actually hosta plants. I'm gonna just let everything grow unless it's obviously not a hosta. Part of the reason for the pictures is just to document what they look like as they grow.
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

It would be interesting to see that seed bed now. Do you have more pics? You might have better success if you planted them in potting mix that you know doesn't have any weed seeds in it; then you'd know for sure when the seedlings come up that they really ARE hostas. Do you have any florescent lights that you could rig up over a workbench or table, and grow some more seedlings inside over the winter? Phyllis
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I second Phyllis's comments. I'd love to see a more recent pic. Always nice to see pics of my progeny even if they are all green.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
jerryshenk

Post by jerryshenk »

The picture isn't worth taking...nothing but weeds;( The plants are now big enough that most of them are pretty positively identified.
New Topic Post Reply