Darn rabbits

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Darn rabbits

Post by redcrx »

I had 2 scapes on tsushimensis that I was putting pollen from First Blush on. They were gone this morning. I "smell" rabbits. I thought I had solved this problem a few years ago when the fence went up to keep the deer out and at the bottom of the fence was a mesh to keep out rabbits. It seemed to work for a couple of year - I would look for evidence where they went under it a block those spot. But I hadn't thought to do that for a while. Looking around today I found a large hole in the mesh. There is now a cinder block in that spot.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Darn rabbits

Post by Chris_W »

Here the deer regularly destroy all of the flower stalks here which was part of the reason I gave up on making crosses years ago. I'd love to start up again, but bring them inside to finish I think, or set up another shade house for them and do them while potted.

Sorry the rabbits got yours :(
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

For me it was a cutworm (which I found lying there all fat and happy) which ate the emerging scape on one of my baby streakers. I'm hoping it puts up another, but now it's a little late to get in 8 weeks of maturation before dormancy kicks in.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Just lost the second scape on First Blush - it hadn't started opening flowers yet. The first scape is still there with a few buds to open but only one pod with Redback Tavern pollen.
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Lost another scape today and a flower head. I think I blocked the new hole. I was able to find both and put them in sugar water to see I could salvage them.
New Topic Post Reply