First Blush Seedling

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

waldo
USDA Zone: 6a

First Blush Seedling

Post by waldo »

Here are some pictures of an open pollinated First Blush seedling. I purchased the seeds from Jim's Hostas and they were planted December 19, 2016. The first leaves were just green with red petioles, however the last leaf to unfurl has quite a bit of red on the underside of the leaf tip. It does show through to the leaf surface to some degree. I will grow it on for further evaluation.
Attachments
This is the underside of the leaf, it is inside in my basement.
This is the underside of the leaf, it is inside in my basement.
First Blush int underside.jpg (28.95 KiB) Viewed 6306 times
This is the top of the leaf is also in the basement.
This is the top of the leaf is also in the basement.
First Blush int1.jpg (27.47 KiB) Viewed 6306 times
waldo

Re: First Blush Seedling

Post by waldo »

Here is the same seedling with the similar pictures taken on my deck in natural light.
Attachments
Top of seedling.
Top of seedling.
Underside of the center leaf.
Underside of the center leaf.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Interesting. I can see First Blush as a breakthrough in breeding, but at the same time see that the ultimate result of this breeding will be a hosta that is, more or less, the color of ... mulch. Might be interesting in a pot. Or when someone gets a nice variegation on it, which might have pinky-orange hues.

David
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I never really thought about a red hosta disappearing into the mulch, but that sure sounds like a possibility. Maybe combine it with a bright green fern or a yellow hosta so that it stands out more?

And Waldo, that is great to see that First Blush seedlings could show some promise. As a patented plant we can't divide it, so maybe I'll just have to save a bunch of seeds and see where that takes us :)

thanks for sharing!

chris
waldo

Post by waldo »

This is a picture of the flower scape of the First Blush seedling in this thread. The flower is not intact as I had already started to pollinate before I remembered this thread. As you can see I have removed some to all of the tepals. No need to remove the stamens because there is little to no pollen on the anthers. The flower has good red/pink color and if you look at the pedicels of the unopened buds you can see the intense color there. This seedling has purple with no pollen anthers on contorted filaments of varying lengths. The style is made up of individual strands sometimes fused at the stigma, sometimes not. Ovary is dark burgundy. I will post more later.
Attachments
2017-07-03 First Blush sdlg. #3 e.jpg
2017-07-03 First Blush sdlg. #3 e.jpg (33.68 KiB) Viewed 6172 times
Last edited by waldo on Jul 12, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
waldo

Post by waldo »

I took a couple of pictures of the newly opened flowers this morning. As you can see red, pink and lavender can be to hard to distinguish.I think this was mainly due to the light. The first picture is the most accurate to my eye. This is why flower color is so elusive.
Attachments
This photo taken about 7 am
This photo taken about 7 am
The photo on the left was taken about 10:30 am and the other at 7 am same as the first.
The photo on the left was taken about 10:30 am and the other at 7 am same as the first.
New Topic Post Reply