Blue flower project

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

waldo
USDA Zone: 6a

Blue flower project

Post by waldo »

I have been working with blue-ish colored flowers for awhile, I had hopes of getting my hands on a division of H. "St. Bernadette", but it seems to be lost. In an attempt to produce a blue flowered hosta, With Chris' suggestion(that these were the bluest) I secured H. "Oshima Silk" from Chris and I had H. "Lederhosen' and launched my blue flower project. So I am showing pictures of one of my seedlings that I am using with these two as a base for my project. This is a seedling with "Invincible" and plantaginea in its background. Sometimes it looks more blue than others.
Attachments
2017-08-30 InvincXplanta#2.jpg
2017-08-30 InvincXplanta#2.jpg (31.35 KiB) Viewed 5296 times
2017-09-02 InvincibleXplantaginea.jpg
2017-09-02 InvincibleXplantaginea.jpg (25.3 KiB) Viewed 5296 times
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: Blue flower project

Post by Tigger »

A worthy project. Good luck. The bluest flowers in our garden are Oshima Silk and Nightlife (another Invincible seedling). Bonus that the latter is lightly fragrant.
waldo
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by waldo »

Yes, I also have Nightlife and have been trying to use it. I love the plant, but it is a reluctant breeder in my experience. Thank you for the input any suggestions and/or advice are appreciated.
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

I took some pictures today of 'Restless Sea' in bloom and when I looked at the pictures I was taken aback by what I saw on the monitor: BLUE.
P1160490_restlesssea_flower_crop.jpg
Here's another shot.
P1160519_restlesssea_flower_crop.jpg
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Best of luck on your project. Another person shared some success with Oshima Silk and noted that the seedlings coming out of it have been showing blue flowers too. Oshima Silk sets a lot of seed so will be a good pod parent.
New Topic Post Reply